Accidental Color

Baking By carmijok Updated 14 Apr 2011 , 11:13pm by conchita

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 3

I was messing around with my chocolate BC trying to get it a deep brown color (it tastes VERY chocolatey--but is too light a brown for what I want)...any way, I took out some frosting and put in a bowl to experiment with and added a bit of dark brown food coloring. Funny, but it's not really getting darker, so I thought a bit of black. To my surprise it turned the prettiest shade of dark steel gray...I mean a really pretty almost metallic deep silver-gray. I thought it would be so pretty airbrushed with silver. Any way...if you want to know how to get a deep slate/silver/ dark gray icing...now you know to start with chocolate icing and add black (and maybe the brown did something too). Too bad I don't need it for anything. And too bad my husband ate it before I could take a picture! Just an FYI! icon_smile.gif

2 replies
Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 10:52pm
post #2 of 3

Thank you for the info will definitely try it soon icon_biggrin.gif playing with colors is one of my hobbies, I try to write down "how to" achieve the colors I get.

The funny thing is when you're working on achieving a dark color. As you add food coloring you get amazing shades of that same color that you wish you can just stop there using the new color instead of the dark one you wanted first icon_rolleyes.gif

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 11:13pm
post #3 of 3

thank you so much for the tip I will try it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%