Vent...its Just Dots!

Decorating By jewels710 Updated 15 Apr 2011 , 5:25pm by sweetmonkeycheese

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 13

Ok, so I was "told" basically by a co-worker that she "had to have" one of my cakes for her Wedding this May. No prob, I've made cakes for her before, paid, including her bridal shower cake a few weeks ago. She raved about the cake to everyone but told a mutual friend that she thought I charged her WAY too much. I felt I gave her a HUGE discount.
6, 8, 10, pastel polka dots (in my pics) Lemon, Choc & Amaretto all with raspberries & pastry cream filling, delivered 15miles away, $120.00. Cheap, I know.

Once she decided what she wanted for her wedding cake...All BC with small dots piped on every layer - each inset with edible pearl, satin ribbon boarder, fresh hyrdangeas as the topper and scattered about, same flavor/filling as bridal shower... all to serve approx 160 people.
I quoted $450 and she fell over and has since been complaining to the mutual friend ever since that they're "JUST DOTS" !!!

JUST DOTS, REALLY???? REALLY??!?!?! UGH!

She has NO idea the time & work that will go into that cake to be a perfectly smooth blank canvas for all of those dots to be lined up so nicely.
I think that having an almost blank cake is harder than one you can cover up with loads of piping, fondant work or other decorations.

Knowing the complaint about the bridal shower cake, When I sent her the quote I closed the email with something like, "Once you decide if you still would like me to make your cake..."

I cannot let on that I know she is annoyed with the price quoted or I'd be half tempted to drop her.
I am secretly hoping she found someone else.
UGGGHHHHHH

Thanks for letting me vent!!!

12 replies
JenFailla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenFailla Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 13

Well, cake is just flour, eggs and sugar right????? I can't believe you are charging that much for JUST DOTS!! HA HA HA HA HA COMPLETELY KIDDING!!! I know what you mean about how a blank cake is even more difficult- we can easily hide faults and flaws in a "busier" cake. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she finds another baker and that someone FABULOUS calls you tomorrow for the same date with an order twice that size. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 13

You could always get even with the hydrangeas on top......LOL just kiddingicon_smile.gif

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 7:51pm
post #4 of 13

Hahahahaha! I feel you!

But, didja know there is a stencil for Swiss dots? I have been working with a bride on a design for a 4 tiered monster that she wants covered in Swiss dots. Just waiting for her completed contract to order the stencil...

http://www.culinarystencils.com/product/C546

Although it's only $12 so maybe I'll just order it anyway.

Jen

BARBARAJEAN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BARBARAJEAN Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 8:01pm
post #5 of 13

Ya, those hydrangeas are poisonous.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 13

Did you tell her you were giving her a discount for the bridal shower cake? If not, than she may not have realized than she should have paid more and would have been prepared for the wedding cake quote (which I didn't think was unreasonable at all).

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 12:17am
post #7 of 13

My least favorite lead in to a sentence has to be "But it's just......"

jewels710 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 12:33am
post #8 of 13

Oh she knew she was getting a discount on the bridal shower cake. I also showed her the discount I was giving her on the wedding cake, along with free delivery and I was even throwing in a free 5" personal b-day cake for her mother in law since they are getting married on her bday. PLUS I give them a certificate for a free anniversay cake for their 1 yr anni.

I know what others in my area make, the lowest charges $2.50 per serving all the way up to $8.00 per serving, without all the extra freebies.

I don't think I priced her cake unreasonable at under $3 per serving.

Thanks everyone for your support. I think this has been my most frustrating customer to date.

MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 12:43am
post #9 of 13

RUN honey, just run! At $2.81 a serving, you will be working for next to nothing! If nothing else, you should have quoted her more, simply because she was complaining to a mutual friend (probably in hopes of you finding out and lowering your price) As for your mutual "friend" s/he should just 'zip it' and not share the whining with you, it's makes for messy friendships.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 1:14am
post #10 of 13

You are a lot better than me...I would have said something to her while at work with folk around. she didn't have a problem with your cakes before now she wants one for free. *smh* I would hurry & book that date just so I couldn't do her wedding... Then I would tell her ....

"I understand you feel I charge too much so I'm sure you won't mind that I booked an order for ______(such n such date) I'm no longer available for the date of your wedding best of luck in your a baker that matches your style."

But that's just me..don't like ppl talking about me behind my back..especially the ones that are supposed to be cool with.

Good luck in whatever you do...Don't let her stress you...there are plenty more that appreciate your time & skills

jewels710 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 1:39am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumlady

Good luck in whatever you do...Don't let her stress you...there are plenty more that appreciate your time & skills

Thanks, I think I have been letting it stress me, no, I know it has. Probably because I work with her. Still deciding if I will accept the order if she asks. I have a feeling that it will not be the last of her complaints.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 7:02am
post #12 of 13

The last thing I'm going to do with my time is make a discounted cake for someone who won't appreciate it. Tell her in private that you have heard that she is unhappy with the price. Tell her that you are not upset and wish her the best of luck in finding a baker that would be better suited. End of conversation. Walk away. When she says, "But...", just repeat, "It's ok, I'm really not upset". Now you got out of the cake and she can't talk you back into it unless you give in. Tell her you have a backup for that date so there are no hard feelings. This really does work. Now you aren't the bad guy.

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 5:25pm
post #13 of 13

ha ha, give her a plain cake and let her do the dots!!! it's just dots! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%