Hos Did She Get This On Her Cake??

Decorating By 2txmedics Updated 18 Apr 2011 , 10:28pm by CWR41

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 16

I came across this and Its basically what Im maybe looking for an idea for a wedding cake to do for my niece, but Im wondering how she got it on the cake? I mean it looks like a BC transfer...?

http://bitosweets.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/df62de87e51c6f5e113605ce8b56800b.jpg?w=300

Im not a fancy cake decorator, so I need BASICS!!!!

15 replies
sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 5:43pm
post #2 of 16

It looks like piped royal icing on wax paper then placed on a form to dry

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 16

I agree with sugaah.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 5:51pm
post #4 of 16

I agree. It's royal icing piped on wax paper (plastic wrap would be better) then quickly wrapped around whatever size/shape you want that piece to fit on. For a wedding cake/round tiers you would place the freshly piped piece around the cake pan or a styro piece of the same size.

You're not a 'fancy' decorator icon_smile.gif It would not be hard to do but the finished pieces are very fragile so you would have to make many extras to allow for breakage.

Here's an alternate idea: Make ONE pattern - royal piped on wax paper - overpipe it 2 times for strength and use it as a press against b'cream icing, then pipe over the indented pattern in the icing.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 16

Sugarveil... it's flexible.

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 8:17pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Sugarveil... it's flexible.

...expensive and not always readily availableicon_smile.gif especially to those of us who must stick with the basics.
Try it kakeladi & Sugaah's way: I think you'll be surprised how simple it really is...it only looks difficulticon_smile.gif

CWR41 Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 9:37pm
post #7 of 16

The ingredients are readily available to make your own recipe.

I think I may have cracked the Sugarveil recipeMaybe
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-32371-.html

Gummy Spider Webs with marshmallows
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7283/gummy-spider-webs-with-marshmallows

As kakeladi mentions when using royal icing, the finished pieces are very fragile so you would have to make many extras to allow for breakage.

I agree. Who wants to make MANY extras, especially when the design shown is one continual design that is tightly formed and wraps completely around the cylinder shape. Not only would it be difficult to remove from the paper in one piece without breaking, but think how much more difficult it would be to slide the piece down over the cake without scraping the icing off. Youd need to adjust your form to accommodate for the icing (or fondant) thickness by making it a bit larger, and if its slightly bigger than needed to enable it to slide over the cake, then the RI would break while pressing it to make a complete connection with the cake that isnt the exact size.

Other than using a flexible medium, Kakeladis alternate idea appears to be an excellent option to achieve a continual effect without breakage.

Haute_Mama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Haute_Mama Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 3:38am
post #8 of 16

I tried a RI crown for the first time a few weeks ago. I used a template I found her on this site. I made 3 of them just in case 2 of them broke I'd still have one. My hand was killing me from all the piping. They are fragile, but so beautiful.

Here's a link to a picture of how that cake turned out.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2001717

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 3:55am
post #9 of 16

I used a simple clay extruder and gumpaste for my tiarra. (in my pics) I found it work great and I could apply it to wax paper with a light shortening on it wrapped around the canister. It also works well to just apply to the cake. It saved my hand it looked just as good as RI

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 4:46pm
post #10 of 16

I had instructions included with that image 2txmedics. They're also within a thread on CC. I was trying piped gumpaste...diluting gumpaste to the point of being able to pipe it out like ri. I did pipe it out onto parchment. It remained flexible long enough to pipe them all out before attaching them to the outside of 2 liter soda bottles. As the experiment ended, the tiaras were not as strong as I'd hoped. I may have gotten better results had I left them on the bottles for a week or more...I dunno though.

all4cake Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 5:09pm
post #11 of 16

A buttercream transfer can be done with a raised effect in pretty much the same way kakeladi described above for ri...simply freeze and apply the pieces individually-

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 6:21pm
post #12 of 16

........the design shown is one continual design that is tightly formed and wraps completely around the cylinder shape. Not only would it be difficult to remove from the paper in one piece without breaking, but think how much more difficult it would be to slide the piece down over the cake without scraping the icing off. ...........

I don't agree that the finished pieces wrap completely around the tiers. They are not that big/long. Making 4 or 5 to be spaced around a tier would make a beautiful cake and not have to be slid over it. As for making extras, if the lace is overpiped they will not be all that fragile so maybe 3 extras probably would be enough - depending on how many you are using altogether.
Here's a cake I did last summer. I made only one extra main piece and about 4 extra birds (they were much more fragile). I used some of the extra birds, but the main piece was fine.
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1417054
Piping on plastic wrap instead of wax paper make it *much* easier to remove the pieces w/o breaking.

CWR41 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 6:57pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

I don't agree that the finished pieces wrap completely around the tiers. They are not that big/long.

I was referring to the finished pieces that are wrapped completely around the cylinders in the background as they dry. They aren't very big. I'd guess 3 - 3.5" diameter. Once dried and removed from the waxed paper on those cylinders, they could only be used on the same diameter cake (if you're lucky enough to get it there without breakage). Perhaps they aren't being made to wrap around anything... maybe they go on top of a cake. IDK.

all4cake Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 8:25pm
post #14 of 16

That was my experiment...my image...from my blog. I was experimenting with piped gumpaste and a tiara pattern to see if they'd be as strong as gp but as easy as ri to pipe.

A side design could definitely be piped in royal icing and left to dry. Then, applied to an iced cake. Piped in sections and allowed to dry on the side of a dummy or pan or cylinder of the same size as the cake to which they're to be affixed.

amcakemaker2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amcakemaker2011 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 10:23pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2txmedics

I came across this and Its basically what Im maybe looking for an idea for a wedding cake to do for my niece, but Im wondering how she got it on the cake? I mean it looks like a BC transfer...?

http://bitosweets.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/df62de87e51c6f5e113605ce8b56800b.jpg?w=300

She done a transfer. You can trace the design you want on waxed parchment paper and then you piping gel then you can locate where you want it and place it onto the cake. Carefully peel it off and then you are ready to outline it and color

CWR41 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 10:28pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcakemaker2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2txmedics

She done a transfer. You can trace the design you want on waxed parchment paper and then you piping gel then you can locate where you want it and place it onto the cake. Carefully peel it off and then you are ready to outline it and color

All4cake already said it was their gumpaste tiara experiment.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%