New To Fondant, Modeling Etc. Please Help...

Decorating By mrslivvix Updated 18 Apr 2011 , 3:27pm by mrslivvix

mrslivvix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrslivvix Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 2:19pm
post #1 of 8

I've been making cakes for years and I'm a second generation cake maker in my family but I'm new to any fondant, gumpaste, etc for modeling figurines or people. I would really like to start incorporating these type of things into my cakes however I am really at a loss for what works best, how to mix gumpaste with fondant, tylose etc. I've watched a few tutorials on youtube but I guess being a newbie at it I'm a little scared. I'm still not too good at knowing all the lingo also...like MMF (marshmallow fondant), Rkt or rtk?, I know I'm a moron haha! But any help would be great! I'm an artist at heart and hands but being a perfectionist makes me crazy when doing anything I can't do well. I wanna be one of these ppl that post crazy beautiful cakes made with fondant and all the pretties they put on them. Please tell me the "rules" for what works best. icon_confused.gif Thank you!!

7 replies
terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 2:34pm
post #2 of 8

I use 1/2 and 1/2 fondant and gumpaste. I found books on clay modeling figures and animals a great tool. they have step by step instructions. Youtube has a lot too and quite helpful...

Just jump in and start. practice, practice, and more practice.... you sound talented...you will do fine...we all have our style of figures, flowers and cakes that match our personalities.

Also check in the galleries for fondant figures....lots of examples......good luck and enjoy.

SweetCakesbyAmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCakesbyAmy Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 3:03pm
post #3 of 8

MMF= Msrshmellow Fondant

Marshmellow fondant is really easy to make (tastes alot lot those easter peeps) you can find the reciepes here on CC in the reciepe section

RKT= Rice Krispy Treats

Rice Krispy Treats are used when you need to make something but cake wont work. Like large decorations, accessories etc

Gum Paste is a stronger form of fondant- it dries crazy fast and stays hard. Great for 3-d effects on a cake. I usually mix 1/2 fondant with 1/2 gum paste so i get the plyability of the fondant but the stiffness of the gum paste.

I am a die hard fondant user--i rarely do only BC anymore! HTH and Happy Caking!!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 5:17pm
post #5 of 8

Gum Paste really does dry crazy fast.

No joke. You really have to plan it out before using it because by the time you figure out what you're doing, the gum paste has formed a crust and you have to start over.

It's frustrating if you're not used to it but it works so much better than fondant for figures and other things that sit/stand upright. Fondant (and even the 50/50 fondant gum paste mix) slumps. At least in my experience they did.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 11:43pm
post #6 of 8

I agree the clay modeling books can be a hugh help when starting modeling. When I started my first book was " The Sculpy Way with Polymer Clay". It's good for giving you modeling basics. My 2nd favorite is "How to Make Clay Characters". It gives you information on making hands, feet, heads, clothes, etc.

I use Satin Ice Fondant mixed with tylose powder for modeling. 1 tsp tylose powder to 1lb fondant.

Lorraine McKay also has tutorials you can purchase from her website. thumbs_up.gif

mrslivvix Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 2:08pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you so much for the feedback!! I did make a fondant unicorn for a cake the other day. It didn't turn out too bad for my first time I guess. lol I will have to post a pic of it when I get a chance. I was quite frustrated by the time I got it done. I posted a few pics of it on Facebook and now have a lady wanting me to make her a few horses if she sends me pics of them! lol Oh boy!
I can't believe I couldn't figure out the rkt thing (rice krispie treats...who woulda thunk it) icon_smile.gif I usually ponder over those darn things forever trying to figure them out haha!

mrslivvix Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 3:27pm
post #8 of 8

Here is the link to my fondant unicorn cake I made.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2008061

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%