Shaping A 3 Tier Suitcase Wedding Cake!!!

Decorating By yumtreats Updated 17 Apr 2011 , 10:18am by Chellescakes

yumtreats Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 10:35am
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone,

I'm about to start making a 3 tier suitcase (12", 10" & 8") wedding cake for a friend of mine. I just wondered if anyone has ever made one of these and if so, how did you get the "rectangle" shape of the actual cases? If I bake the cakes in the square tins then I'm thinking they won't give the proper look of a case so just wondering would I have to make them in a deep roasting tray and cut to size??

Would be unbelieveably grateful for any advice, thanks so much icon_smile.gif

3 replies
Marianna46 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 3:42am
post #2 of 4

I actually have a very large sheet cake pan that I make two of (so that each suitcase is two layers) and cut them to size. I'm not sure I could get a 12", a 10" and an 8" rectangle from that, though. The ones I've made have been smaller. What you COULD do is make several 9" x 13" sheet cakes and cut them down. You'd have a lot left over on the smaller ones, but that's what God made cake balls for!

Cakechick123 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 7:06am
post #3 of 4

I've started off with a larger square cake than what I needed and cut it to the shape I wanted. The pieces that was cut off was added to the one side to make the rectangle longer.

Chellescakes Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 10:18am
post #4 of 4

I just used rectangular tins.Perhaps you can borrow or hire a set from someone ? Or you could just bake two squares , for each tier and put them together.

Quote by @%username% on %date%