Cake Order For 4 Persons

Decorating By wafawafa Updated 15 Apr 2011 , 5:21pm by sweetmonkeycheese

wafawafa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wafawafa Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 4:39am
post #1 of 24

Hello Helpers

I've got my first cake order yesterday ( soo exited)

the lady asked me to make a cake to feed only 4 persons with the same design as the attached photo

so what round pan should I use ?

and how to keep the same design for this small cake ,, should I make many layers from the smallest size pan ??

please Help ,,

23 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 4:42am
post #2 of 24

No picture

CupQuequito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupQuequito Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 5:15am
post #3 of 24

There's no picture, but I'd go with a 4". But again, it's a blind guess, with no picture.

wafawafa Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 5:24am
post #4 of 24

I have problem in attachment

ok >> it similar to this one in th link but she asked with flower not the bow

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1977400

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 5:25am
post #5 of 24

A 4" diameter round cake serves 6 (two 2" tall layers), so be sure to charge them for six, instead of four!!

wafawafa Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 5:32am
post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

A 4" diameter round cake serves 6 (two 2" tall layers), so be sure to charge them for six, instead of four!!

thannnnks
so I make the cake 2 layes each for 2 inch

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 6:10am
post #7 of 24

I wouldn't make a cake for 4 persons, because every recipe I have bakes a larger cake, I have a minimum charge that everyone has to pay, most of them then take a bigger one and freeze leftovers or eat them the next day

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 7:16am
post #8 of 24

who orders a cake for four people? No way would I do a cake this small. You will spend more in gas to buy supplies and electricity for your oven and mixer than you'll get out of this cake.

Do they go to the grocery and say, "I'm only making 4 sandwiches so I only need 8 slices of bread. How much for 1/2 a loaf?" No. They buy the whole loaf and deal with the leftover.

No way do I turn on my oven for a cake for 4. Seriously, I think they are a little nuts for even requesting it.

wafawafa Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 7:55am
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

who orders a cake for four people? No way would I do a cake this small. You will spend more in gas to buy supplies and electricity for your oven and mixer than you'll get out of this cake.

Do they go to the grocery and say, "I'm only making 4 sandwiches so I only need 8 slices of bread. How much for 1/2 a loaf?" No. They buy the whole loaf and deal with the leftover.

No way do I turn on my oven for a cake for 4. Seriously, I think they are a little nuts for even requesting it.

you are right , you haighlight the Gas point , I forgot about that
so whats the minimum persons i have to make the cake ?

I accpeted her request coz I was excited to have an order , I am newbi in this biz

Thanks for the advice

scp1127 Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 9:00am
post #10 of 24

Just make a cake for your family with the extra batter and chalk it up to new order excitement.

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 10:08am
post #11 of 24

Let her know this is a courtosy to her for her first order and that you usually require a minimum of $xxx. Sound confident and she will believe you!

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 10:58am
post #12 of 24

I guess the 'price per serving' method of charging for cakes would not apply to a cake this size!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 11:58am
post #13 of 24

Since a 6" cake serves 12, a 4" diameter should serve 4 people.

CWR41 Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 2:25pm
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Since a 6" cake serves 12, a 4" diameter should serve 4 people.

Half diameter = radius
Radius squared (times itself) x Pi (3.14) = surface square inches
Surface square inches divided by 2 (2" long serving) = servings total

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 11:13pm
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

This seems like a perfect time to figure out what your order minimums will be...

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 1:12am
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Half diameter = radius
Radius squared (times itself) x Pi (3.14) = surface square inches
Surface square inches divided by 2 (2" long serving) = servings total

Not to hijack, but I now love you and your geeky mathiness.

icon_biggrin.gif

Jen

scp1127 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 1:23am
post #17 of 24

CWR41, I thought I was the only one that was that anal. I do percentage comparisons by getting pi(r squared) for one size pan to see how to adapt the recipe to other pan sizes. Example... 9inch cheesecake recipe goes into four 4 1/2 inch pans or five 4 inch pans. I love baking!!!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 1:31am
post #18 of 24

I agree with Indydebi, no way would I do a cake for 4 people. It reminds me of the call I got a few weeks ago from a woman wanting a kit kat cake (whatever that is) for 3 people for the next day. Needless to say, that was a very short phone call.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 1:39am
post #19 of 24

If I'm understanding correctly you already told her you would do the cake. So chalk this up to a lesson learned. Take to heart what Indydebi & others have said for your next order. I have learned a lot from them. I actually had someone tell me they were only feeding 5 ppl ... However, they ordered a half sheet because they said the wanted extras for the next few days. So I faired out well. But you will have to educate your customers because they really don't know.

Congratulations on your new biz

wafawafa Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 2:47am
post #20 of 24

Thanks all for your posts ,,

I appreciate your advices

and keep them in my mind thanks all

CWR41 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 4:00am
post #21 of 24

Hey, I'm no math whiz, but it pays to know how to calculate servings to avoid giving away extra cake for free because it all adds up in the long run no matter how many or few slices. Business is business... it should be profitable!

scp1127 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 5:55am
post #22 of 24

So you use it to find area for servings, and I use it to convert recipes to different pans. Good idea.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 7:22am
post #23 of 24

Think of cupcakes. Can you honestly just bake 4 cupcakes, is there evena recipe for that? One cupcake= 1 serving. If your customer pays you only for 4 cupcakes, would you give her eight? If your standard recipes makes 12 cupcakes (mine makes 18 minimum), what are you going to do with the other 8 cupcakes? Also, The gas that you use to drive to get the supplies is the same, as if you would go out and buy more stuff, devils advocate here, you only need to buy the stuff for the cupcakes. The electricity you need to bake 4 cupcakes is the same, those are fixed prices, as is the water needed to wash up, the dishsoap, the towel you have to wash after drying the pots and pans.
I cannot afford to eat the many cupcakes, too fat already, that is why i have a minimum charge and a minimum cake size. If they only want and insist on 4 servings, ok, I'll make a small cake, BUT they still have to pay for the larger one, the stuff is baked up, whether they want it or not

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 5:21pm
post #24 of 24

.. hey ppl for customers "servers4 "can be alot different that a "bakers serves 4", when I want a piece of cake, I want a piece of cake!!!!!

I would think ordering a cake for 4 ppl would be like ordering pizza for 4 ppl, you need a pie big enough to serve all for ppl and it's ok to have left overs! You pay for the whole pie, not for how many ppl it will serve. (and cake is not presliced, so you can easily get 4 servings out of any size pan!)

Make a small cake and charge for the cake, not per person.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%