Quick--Idea On Pricing Gluten Free?

Decorating By Chef_Stef Updated 14 Apr 2011 , 2:17am by leily

Chef_Stef Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 12:05am
post #1 of 4

Does anyone do gluten free, and if so, any quick note on how much more than regular cake are you charging?

Need to do a quote today

3 replies
dukeswalker Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 12:20am
post #2 of 4

I just did one for a teacher (and I only charge teachers the cost of supplies...) and I was just sitting here trying to work out a $/serving. Curious to see what others have done.

jason_kraft Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 1:33am
post #3 of 4

We price GF cakes 10-20% above regular cakes due to the more expensive ingredients, as well as the additional labor involved in baking GF when we have non-GF orders (you have to be extremely careful to prevent cross-contamination). Smaller cakes are closer to a 10% premium, while larger cakes are about 20% more expensive due to larger amounts of the pricier ingredients required.

YMMV for pricing depending on how you source your GF ingredients. We do enough GF business to buy rice flour, sorghum flour, and tapioca starch in bulk to make our own GF flour mix...while still more expensive than regular flour (especially the sorghum) it isn't nearly as expensive as buying the smaller premade GF mixes (i.e. Bob's Red Mill).

BTW try to avoid GF flour mixes with potato starch, it leaves a very gritty mouth feel.

leily Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 2:17am
post #4 of 4

Pricing a GF cake is the same as when you figured the pricing for your other cakes. Check out this thread on information on how to price your cakes/or other products.

Quote by @%username% on %date%