How Do I Get This Lace Effect?

Decorating By ajwonka Updated 15 Apr 2011 , 9:54pm by Rylan

ajwonka Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 9

I have a request for a cake similar to this. Is that fondant lace??? How do I do that? Besides the elusive Sugarveil, any other ideas for creating a lace-like effect? Thanks!

8 replies
Marianna46 Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 9:42pm
post #2 of 9

It's probably from a mold. There are several for sale at cake sites on the internet or in cake supply stores. The real problem is finding that exact one. Best of luck, because it's a very pretty cake.

bisbqueenb Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 9:45pm
post #3 of 9
Take a look at this web site...they have molds that make beautiful lace wraps.

rc1980 Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 9

ok, i am new to the whole cake thing but I have been scrapbooking for over 10 years and to me this looks like it was cut with the cricut... I could almost swear that I have seen this border before.

tiggy2 Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 9

Cricut would be the easiest way to do it.

afunk Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 3:45pm
post #6 of 9

It looks cricut-ed to me too, possibly from one of the Martha Stewart cartridges. But I think you could get the same effect with a scalloped border or frill cutter and an eyelet cutter for the centers.

ajwonka Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 5:37pm
post #7 of 9

Ah, cricut! I have one for scrapbooking but not cakes. I bought a similar mold & will try it. Cross your fingers for me! Thanks!

bcarb Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 6:37pm
post #8 of 9

I'm new to cake decorating and would love to try a lace like this. too. I guess my question would be what would be the pros and cons of using a fondant mold vs Sugarveil. Taking cost out of the picture, which do people think are easier to use for a newbie like some of us?

Rylan Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 9:54pm
post #9 of 9

This looks like the Martha Stewart paper puncher I see at Michaels. If not, they have a very, very similar one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%