Cake Board Or Stand For Wedding Cake?

Decorating By tullicious Updated 14 Apr 2011 , 12:16am by Sangriacupcake

tullicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tullicious Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all... I have been reading through CC posts for months, and have learned so much in such a short time! I love this site! Thanks to all of you! So here's my question.... do most of you who do wedding cakes use just a cake board, or do you use a nice stand? I'm doing my first wedding cake in a few weeks for my sister. I've been trying to decide for weeks, but now I really need to make a decision. I bought foam board to use as the base board for the cake. Should I just decorate that and be done? I'm not sure what is "common" per se for weddings these days. The cake is a very simple design, round, three tiers. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated! Thanks!

2 replies
aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 8:14pm
post #2 of 3

this is really a matter of opinion. icon_smile.gif

i think decorated cake boards (4 inches larger or so than the base cake) look very nice covered in fondant or royal icing, with some sort of embossing or painting on them, ribbon wrapped around the edge. just my opinion.

even if i display my cakes on a cake stand or plateau, i always have a slightly larger, covered and decorated base cake board.

if you do decide to cover the base board in fondant or royal icing, do it a few days ahead of time so the royal or fondant is nice and dry.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 12:16am
post #3 of 3

It's nice to have something with feet for easier maneuvering. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%