Anyone Ever Just Sell Gumpaste Figures?

Decorating By CiNoRi Updated 14 Apr 2011 , 12:23am by Price

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 4:43pm
post #1 of 6

Im having a hard time pricing this one..

I have 3 figures i need to created to fit on a 12 inch cake. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

5 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 10:24pm
post #2 of 6

I have been asked to do them separately on a couple of occasions, but have said no so far. A) I don't think I want any of my figures on a cake that is not mine (mostly because I wouldn't want anyone to think I made the cake, when I didn't) and B) because I don't think I could price them accordingly and don't think anyone would pay their proper value. Somehow making them to go on one of my own cakes seems a bit more profitable to me. You want one of my figures? Buy a whole cake (and pay extra for the figure, I don't include them in the price but don't charge much at all).

I guess the way to work out how much to charge to make it worthwhile is by figuring out how long it takes you to do them (plus materials etc). I take ages though, and I would find it hard to get anyone to pay me the full time taken!

CiNoRi Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 6

Oh I totally agree. This is actually for someone i know who is throwing a baby shower several hours away.... AND the new mom... LOVES ice cream cake.... so given the situation I don't mind (plus my friend is wonderful at promoting me, no worries there. icon_wink.gif I think she was doing whatever she could to have me do the cake... but the distance and the votes for ice cream won icon_wink.gif LOL

... but in a normal case I prolly wont make a habit of it. She is willing to pay me for my efforts i don't to be too high, but i dont want people to think I do it for free. icon_wink.gif

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 11:22pm
post #4 of 6

Is she planning to pick them up or are you shipping them?

CiNoRi Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 11:55pm
post #5 of 6

she will pick them up

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 12:23am
post #6 of 6

I was wondering because I recently shipped a few pieces to my daughter in FL. and there was a little damage to all but 2 of the 5 pieces. I thought I had them really well packaged but they are so fragile I guess it doesn't take much for a piece to break.

As far a pricing goes. I feel like the cost of materials is really insignificant. I agree it's the time involved in making them that really counts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%