Cake Pricing

Decorating By sedinga Updated 13 Apr 2011 , 6:08pm by AnotherCaker

sedinga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sedinga Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 8

Hi Everyone!

I have been asked by an aquaintace to make this cake only in a 3 tiered oval pattern with the bottom layer in fondant and the top two with textured buttercream and handmade fondant beads around the top two layers. I have quoted her $275 and that includes delivery to a venue that is an hour and a half away. Does this seem fair? Is it too high? The cake flavors are:Bottom- chocolate with cookies and cream filling, Middle White with Strawberries and cream filling, Top - Pumpkin Pie Cake with Pumpkin Pie Buttercream. Nothing too fancy, just tasty.

Thank you for any input you can give.
Steph

7 replies
sedinga Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 8

apparently the picture didn't attach like I thought it would. Anyway, I will be using the 3 oval pans that Wilton makes and it will server 139 people...

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 8

Which three pans? Wilton makes four sizes.
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm
Your servings don't add up for any combo that I can see, but if you get 139 servings, are you really willing to do all of that work for less than $2 per serving? I'd say you're too low on price.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 5:16pm
post #4 of 8

Sedinga I have to agree with CWR41 your prices are way too low. I don't even need to see a pic. You are offering to do a custom fondant cake 3 tiers for less than $2 a slice. My prices are low because I'm in the building stage of my business, but not that low. I'm guess that by the time you add overhead cost of ingredients, materials, hours worked etc ... Not to mention the custom flavors you won't be making anything & the cake will be a gift. So only you can determine if you are okay with that

sedinga Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 5:17pm
post #5 of 8

lol, I didn't see the list that you had a link to. I just went to the wedding cake cutting link and counted the pcs. They only showed the 3 bigger sizes and I counted the large one wrong. Thanks for letting me know that there are 4 - that will help with serving.
My husband always tells me Im too low - but I like to try and my keep prices on the lower side to help brides out. I didn't want to give her the price of $275 and have her think its WAY too much - though that could certainly happen! What I did was get my total cost and added about $175 to it for the delivery and a little bit for my time.
Thank you again for your input and for letting me know that there are 4 sizes available!

sedinga Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 5:25pm
post #6 of 8

here is a link to the pic the bride gave me : http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4101/4795995371_bdcb24405f_m.jpg

it's very simple and fairly "easy". Im thinking that I maybe will bump up the price a bit. I don't have any overhead, really, because I do it out of my home as a hobby, but I guess there is electricity and stuff like that.

Thanks so much for all the input, I really appreciate it!!

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 6:06pm
post #7 of 8

I am like you, I try to help people out and everyone keeps asking me why am I so low!? Then after I deliver the cake I see all the money spent on the hall and the flowers and decorations and favors.. and here is this cake that took so long to make her day perfect and get ulcers getting it to the venu... not to mention the cost of gas right now. Sad when they spend as much on favors as the cake sometimes.

I charge 75.00 right now for delivery if it is out of our area. And I think that is low... figure your delivery is hour and a half away but thats 3 hrs total of your time. and miles!!
I am no one to speak but I am begining to wake up and see where people put there priorities at the wedding... and it isn't the cake.

I think your too low with the bottom biggest tier being fondant which is not cheap.. and fondant accents.. thats a big cost right there.. not to mention the ingreedients prices going up.. they keep telling me the small cone at dairy queen is over 1.50 and it only takes a second to blop out. and 5.99 for desert at any major resturaunt. So you and I need to wake up and charge more and if they want the glitzy cakes they will pay it. I don't think I want to be known as cheap cakes anymore. ... maybe delecious and reasonable??? {lol}

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 8

Lol @ helping brides out. Especially the ones who are paying for $10,000 dresses and custom letterpressed stationary. Cause you know, gotta help them with their tight budget and all. icon_wink.gif I know you don't mean that, but it made me laugh because of some "budget bride" who tried to pull that with me once. Clicking her $100 manicure on the sides of her Prada purse. Yep.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%