Cricut Cake/expressions Users...is This Possible?

Decorating By Cakepro Updated 13 Apr 2011 , 9:31pm by bonniekaye

Cakepro Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 3:50am
post #1 of 18

Hi ~

I'm doing a three-tiered birthday cake for a baby's 1st birthday in the "Lil Angel" theme. The top tier, a 5" round (4" tall) cake, will be airbrushed pearlescent white and I want to put the birthday message on this tier in pink.

My thoughts were to either hand-cut the message and stencil it on with royal icing or try to cut the letters by hand (huge PITA!)...when it dawned on me that perhaps my Cricut could help.

I'd love to hear from experienced users if it is possible to cut these delicate letters (it's the Holy Union font). I have SCAL but have no idea how to use it to change a bmp image of the message into a SCAL file (took 2 classes, nothing stuck LOL!).

Also, can you buy thick acetate or stencil material that the Cricut could cut, so I just stencil this in the event that cutting the details little letters out wouldn't work?

Thanks for any input!

Here's the message:

17 replies
Cakepro Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 3:52am
post #2 of 18

What? Can we no longer add an attachment to a post? It's a really small jpg!

JanH Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 4:22am
post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

What? Can we no longer add an attachment to a post? It's a really small jpg!

There's a glitch in that software.

You can add a conventional link or post an image link from photobucket....

Here are the directions to do this from another post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoxx

yep, you can copy and paste the img link from photobucket, or if you want to add a photo you don't have in photobucket (like this one) you do the img code

To do the img coding.....
Use a pair of square brackets -> [ ] with the img in them (no spaces) in the beginning, then copy and paste the images url (no space after the last bracket) then use another pair of square brackets [ ] but this time with /img in it. so it would look like this, but I put in the * so it won't actually code

[img*]http://www.cakejournal.com/wp-content/uploads/Chocolate-cake-bites1.jpg[/*img]

if you remove the * then you'll get the picture icon_smile.gif

But this is if the photo is already online. A quick way to throw a picture online if you don't have an online account, is tinypic.com

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-7083438-.html&sid=3de649a451b6267e14596d1de03369ef

HTH

Cakepro Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 4:30am
post #4 of 18

Alrighty, Photobucket it is. Thanks icon_smile.gif

Katiebelle74 Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 4:39am
post #5 of 18

If cricut can do that it is getting bumped up my list of "I wants"!!! I was wondering about cricut and monograms recently too. That would be a life saver.

bonniekaye Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 1:31pm
post #6 of 18

You can use ANY electronic cutter for cake decorating. Linda McClure started all of this with the cricut expression. If you go to youtube and do a search of her name you will see several video tutorials on using the cricut and working with gum paste. The expressions you have will work, but you need the deep cut blade housing unit.

JenniferAtwood Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 1:42pm
post #7 of 18

Yes it can do that font.

kimebarnes Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 1:44pm
post #8 of 18

mine cuts best at 2 1/2 inches or larger small details seem to mess up. so not sure how small you want the letters and i have heard of folks makings stencils with their cricut. you may want to check the message boards on cricuts website to see who has done and get tips

mommafixit Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 1:50pm
post #9 of 18

I'm pretty sure a cricut could do this. I don't have a regular cricut but I do have a cricut cake. Craft stores carry the sheets to cut your own stencils, I would just be sure it is well secured to the mat before cutting. With the letters so detailed and close together, any slipping would probably mess up the stencil. Not sure about changing the image over, but alot of times you can find websites that will convert files for free. HTH

leafO Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 2:33pm
post #10 of 18

You can use an image editing software to convert the file. I suggest inkscape or gimp. They are both free programs you can download. You can use one of these programs to convert the file to a jpg and then use the trace feature in SCAL.

The easiest option is to download the Holy union font and install it on your computer. Google the font name and it will come up with a bunch of sites where you can download it for free.

To install it on your computer go to:

control panel>appearance and personalization >fonts

Then find your downloaded font file, click and drag it to that folder

Then when you open SCAL that font will be listed and you can just type out your message.

I hope that makes sense icon_wink.gif

tiggy2 Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 2:46pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebarnes

mine cuts best at 2 1/2 inches or larger small details seem to mess up. so not sure how small you want the letters and i have heard of folks makings stencils with their . you may want to check the message boards on cricuts website to see who has done and get tips

You can cut much smaller detailed patterns if you use the right medium and follow Linda's instructins. She has some great youtube videos.

Cakepro Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 6:02pm
post #12 of 18

I have the Cricut Expressions, SCAL, the deep blade housing, the font on my computer and Linda's DVDs (and sadly, even a class from the Two Sweet Sisters a year ago, but nothing I learned stayed in my brain - I had just opened my bakery and was working 110 hours weeks and OMG my brain was too fried to retain any information that day). LOL

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific with the size of this font:

Will the Cricut cleanly cut these letters in a 1" size?

It's going to be a bit of a time investment for me to drag everything out and set up for this...so I'm hoping someone with experience will definitively say Yes, the Cricut will cleanly cut those 1" letters for you or No, you're wasting your time. icon_biggrin.gif Hahaha. I am super-pressed for time this week and can't afford to lose 2 hours.

Thanks ladies!! ♥

leafO Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 6:13pm
post #13 of 18

I think 1" is going to be too small to do the letters in fondant since they are so intricate, maybe gum paste would work? I have heard you can do smaller more intricate cuts on the cricut with gumpaste but I've only used it with fondant so far so I couldn't say. I hope someone who has more experience with gumpaste can let us know icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 6:32pm
post #14 of 18

I've had success using wilton fondant with tylose added, however you do have to let it dry as Linda recommends. It's not something you're going to do in a matter minutes.. It takes practice and a little patience. I took Linda's class and get great results every time using her method. She is also now using icingimages frosting sheets and has had great success with them. I have cut 1" size using her gumpaste recipe and letting it firm up as she recommends.

Katiebelle74 Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 6:34pm
post #15 of 18

I am checking out Linda's videos on youtube! WOW I wish I had seen this before so thankful to learn about her!! Now I am wondering is the cricut better or the gazelle??

Cakepro Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 6:35pm
post #16 of 18

Oh, that's intriguing! I have Icing Images frosting sheets. Do you take the acrylic backing off and smear the cutting mat with Crisco to make the frosting sheet stick? Thanks!

tiggy2 Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 6:39pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Oh, that's intriguing! I have Icing Images frosting sheets. Do you take the acrylic backing off and smear the cutting mat with Crisco to make the frosting sheet stick? Thanks!

Yes, take the backing off and use crisco to stick it to the mat. You wont need to set your blade quite as deep for the frosting sheets. Might take a little practice for the depth.

bonniekaye Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 9:31pm
post #18 of 18

If you use icing image sheets you do not have to remove it from the backing paper it comes on. You can tape the paper to your carrier mat and then load it into your cutter. If you are using a Silhouette, be sure to trim the edges so the rollers do not get into the icing sheet.
If this doesn't work for you, then you can attach the icing sheet to a piece of card stock paper. Use shortening to stick the icing sheet to the paper and then tape the paper to your carrier mat. Be sure to do a test cut. You want the blade to just cut throught the icing sheet, not the paper. You may also have to adjust your pressure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%