Is It My Ka Mixer???

Decorating By Maria925 Updated 13 Apr 2011 , 2:39am by blissfulbaker

Maria925 Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 2:06am
post #1 of 7

I just recently bought a Kitchen Aid Artisan. Before that I was using a cheap little Sunbeam. I've made 3 cakes now and I'm not happy with how they look. All of them have "holes" throughout the cake!! The taste is fine, but those holes look terrible!!!

Any thoughts????

6 replies
blissfulbaker Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 2:19am
post #2 of 7

Are you using the paddle attachment or wire whisk? You want to use the paddle to beat cakes with. The whisk will add too much air into your batter. Don't over beat and use a low speed for cakes. You can tap the bottom of you pan to help release any air bubbles.

Maria925 Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 2:20am
post #3 of 7

I was using the paddle. I guess I'm overbeating??? Should I reduce the time I normally beat everything or the speed or both?

blissfulbaker Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 2:24am
post #4 of 7

I beat on a low setting and until everything is just well mixed. I would try turning down the speed setting.

Maria925 Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 2:27am
post #5 of 7

I will try lowering the speed thank you! I was so excited to get my KA and was so disappointed with these first cakes! I appreciate the advice icon_smile.gif

CiNoRi Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 2:38am
post #6 of 7

yup lower the speed and and lessen the time. I have the 6qt...its a monster!
On average I mix all ingredients on the lowest setting for 30 seconds... scrape down the sides of the bowl, then mix on 4/medium for about 2 minutes.

Enjoy your new friend! I LOVE mine!

blissfulbaker Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 2:39am
post #7 of 7

I know it is so exciting to get a new toy to play with, so we tend to turn it up and watch it beat up the mix. Unless I am doing egg whites, or making SMBC I don't really need to use any of the speeds much past 2 or 3. I have the KA 6 quart Pro. I like to describe it as 575 watts of pure mixing satisfaction!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%