What's The Process For Carving A Building?

Decorating By KarenOR Updated 13 Apr 2011 , 3:00pm by KarenOR

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 12:09am
post #1 of 7

I have all the panels done for my Sesame cake (see below).
All the cakes are in the freezer. I figured it would be about 8 layers which I would dowel all the way through to the bottom. I cut cardboard with holes in teh middle and I hope I can get it lined up. I have 12x12 square cakes. I need about an 11x7 section from each. What would be the steps to do this?
Should I stack them all and then cut it together or should I cut first and then do the two layer cakes at a time?
It will have a peanut butter filling and a milk chocolate ganache if that is useful information.

Do you think I can get away with not putting in the fridge and just turning down my heat upstairs? It would probably be in the 50s. There is no way to fit in the fridge and I need it for 10am Saturday, so I have to do it on Friday.

6 replies
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 1:21am
post #2 of 7

I've never done anything quite so tall, but I would probably consider stacking, fillin and then carve. It would be awful if you weren't able to get it all lined up again nicely.

KarenOR Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 1:27am
post #3 of 7

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. However, I made all the cardboard dividers for the smaller size, now that I think about it. Ugh.
The good thing is that I am planning on just using chocolate to adhere the panels to the cake. Fingers crossed.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 1:31am
post #4 of 7

LOL. Well, then I guess you answered your own question. icon_smile.gif

HOwever, in retrospect that method may be better anyway, Otherwise you run the risk of walls that aren't straight.

Good luck!

KarenOR Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 1:33am
post #5 of 7

It's actually only going to be about 13" tall. The layers are thin. But, I hope that the solid walls will cover up any cake imperfections.

Hmmm, I'm not sure how this is going to work. Do I fill and dam each of the smaller size?

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 3:08am
post #6 of 7

I usually carve semi-frozen so that I can pull the layers apart more easily (no crumbling) , then fill after I've carved so I don't carve off my dam. I will also put wax sheets or just the cardboard between the layers to be able to pull them apart after I've carved. I take the cardboard out and cut it down as I carve -hope that makes sense!
BTW: those panels look amazing! How did you do them- I'd like to know?What a smart idea for a large structure! Please share pic of finished result after!

KarenOR Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 3:00pm
post #7 of 7

Great advice. Thanks!

I just used a fondant with tylose. I made a pattern so I knew how big everything would be and then I cut out the windows and doors. I made a big green door which will go separately. I need to figure out how to dress the windows and then stick the people in front.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%