Mmf & Gumpaste = Flowers???

Decorating By nikki1273 Updated 13 Apr 2011 , 11:28pm by kearniesue

nikki1273 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1273 Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 11:23pm
post #1 of 5

I plan on trying my first batch of homemade MMF. Can this be used to make flowers and other embellishments by adding gumpaste to it?

4 replies
kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 12:06am
post #2 of 5

I only use MMF, and instead of gumpaste, I just mix in a little tylose. It works great. HTH.

Karen

nikki1273 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1273 Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 11:06pm
post #3 of 5

Karen,

Thanks for the tip, but I am at a loss.....I have heard of tylose and know that it can be purchased @ craft stores, but could you give me more details on how this is used. For example how do you know how much to use and does it change the taste of the fondant. icon_wink.gif

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 11:19pm
post #4 of 5

Tylose doesn't affect the taste or colour of fondant. I use store bought fondant, and use 1 teaspoon tylose per 1lb of fondant - since you are using MMF I would start with the same amount. You just knead it in, like you would knead in colour or flavouring. I sprinkle it on the worktop and knead. You can use the fondant straight away, but I find it's best if left to set up overnight (well wrapped in plastic film and a plastic bag). Next day, take a chunk and knead it and pull it until very pliable. You can also microwave it for a few seconds to start with. It will be quite hard, but will go soft again immediately.

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 11:28pm
post #5 of 5

Well, tylose is a dry powder, and I usually use about a tsp per 1/4 batch of fondant. I don't measure exactly, but I just knead it in until the fondant gets streachy and feels more like gumpaste. Also, if you can't find tylose, you can use gumtex - it's basically the same thing. Do you have a good recipe for the MMF? If not, try this one:

16oz Marsmallows
2lbs PS
2tbs water
2tbs vanilla

Use a microwave safe bowl and coat it with shortening. Put water and marshmallows into the bowl and melt (about 1.5 minutes).

Add vanilla and coloring to melted marshmallows.

Coat your mixing bowl with shortneing, and use your hook attachment. Add about half of the PS and all of the marshmallows. Blend on low and add PS until the fondant is barely sticky to the touch. Rub shortening on your hands, pour the rest of the PS onto the counter and knead the mixture until most of the PS is incorporated. Wrap it in plastic and put it in a plastic bag. Let it rest in the fridge for about an hour. Stick it in the microwave to soften it up and knead a lil shortening onto it when you're ready to use it.

Let me know if you have any other questions about it.

Good luck!

Karen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%