Illinois Cottage Food Act!

Decorating By julesh268 Updated 18 Apr 2011 , 6:33pm by julesh268

julesh268 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesh268 Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 11:16pm
post #1 of 12

It looks like it is our turn to show our support! I found the bill and you can find the numbers for the senators involved. I will keep looking to see if I can find an email address or something.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=137&GAID=11&DocTypeID=SB&SessionID=84&GA=97#actions

ETA: I just called the number listed and left a message voicing my support for this bill.

11 replies
kmstreepey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmstreepey Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 12:01am
post #2 of 12

Thanks for finding this and posting it! I will leave a message for my rep as well and hope for the best!

suzieQ929 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzieQ929 Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 1:18am
post #3 of 12

Totally awesome! Thank you so much for looking this up and researching it! I am going to call ASAP and voice my opinion for it to pass!

julesh268 Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 12

Serioulsy! Only three of us are from Illinois and are excited about this? icon_wink.gif Come on all of you from the Land of Lincoln!

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 12

Count me in! They vote on it in May!

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 10:19pm
post #6 of 12

Ditto! Count me in too! Is this the bill being proposed? Could not open the original post.
SB 840 - The Illinois Local Food Entrepreneur & Cottage Food Operation Act (Senator Koehler) Vote Yes on SB 840

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 4:04am
post #7 of 12

This sounds good, to a point. It states you can sell at farmers' markets and public events. It does not seem to cover a traditional "cake business" (or cookies). It does not seem to cover: taking an order from someone, making item, delivering to them.

Please correct me if I am reading the bill wrong.

Wildrose6633 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildrose6633 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 4:38am
post #8 of 12

OMG I never in my wildest dreams thought this would ever happen for Illinois... YAY icon_biggrin.gif

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 6:16am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed82

This sounds good, to a point. It states you can sell at farmers' markets and public events. It does not seem to cover a traditional "cake business" (or cookies). It does not seem to cover: taking an order from someone, making item, delivering to them.

Please correct me if I am reading the bill wrong.

The other day the server was not up. Today it is. The bill is: Bill Status of SB0137. Did you click the the on "full text"? The info I found when the server was down isn't the one. Sorry icon_redface.gif

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 10:45am
post #10 of 12

Kind of ironic:

The senator sponsoring the bill owns & operates a commercial bakery.

kmstreepey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmstreepey Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 12:37pm
post #11 of 12

"This sounds good, to a point. It states you can sell at farmers' markets and public events. It does not seem to cover a traditional "cake business" (or cookies). It does not seem to cover: taking an order from someone, making item, delivering to them."

I just read it and you are totally right. Since this is an exception to the rule currently in place in IL, the only way you can sell home-baked cakes is at a farmer's market or other community public event. I don't think it includes a traditional cake business. Boo! We should push for that inclusion in this bill!

julesh268 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 6:33pm
post #12 of 12

I read it (but was admittedly very tired) and didn't realize it didn't include out of house sales. That being said, all the more important to call and DEMAND that they allow for out of house sales! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%