Questions About Setting Up A Cake And Timing

Decorating By blueirus Updated 20 Apr 2011 , 4:58am by Marianna46

blueirus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueirus Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 9

Ok I am doing a wedding cake for one of my husband's coworkers. We are doing it as a gift and the wedding is at a country club (way fancier than what we are used to =) It is a four tier stacked cake with a 10" kitchen cake (200 servings) The wedding starts at 4pm and the reception hall is available any time after 10am. I need to drop off the cake prior to the wedding since we are also attending the wedding. At the sight she is going to have roses that she wants placed randomly on and around the cake. My question is when should I drop it off? Never did a cake for a place that has wait staff (hehehe). Will they move it to the place the bride wants it?
Ug super worried about the drop off when I should be focused on the cake. Please any suggestions.

8 replies
sistercarey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sistercarey Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 9

I would drop the cake of @11:00 a.m., so that way you will have time to get ready at home.

blueirus Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you so much for the reply, it makes me nervous to have someone else moving around my cake. I am using the sps system so hopefully that wont be an issue. thanks again.

Mfattore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mfattore Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 2:57am
post #4 of 9

I work at a venue with waitstaff. They should have a table ready for you to place the cake where it will stay. They will likely not want to be responsible for moving it either. Perhaps call the venue and let them know (dont ask, tell) when you will be there and to please have the table prepped.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 5:46am
post #5 of 9

I always tried to drop my cakes off 1 hour prior to the start of the reception. Yes, definitely call to let them know when you will be there so the table will be ready. One of the folks who worked for me used to work at a reception hall and she also told me that once the cake was set up, the venue staff was not allowed to even walk near it, let alone touch or move it.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 1:33pm
post #6 of 9

My contract allows me to deliver the cake 2 - 6 hours prior to the event. That way I can plan my delivery times. Generally speaking the venue will be ready with table set up and linen on the table and ready for you id you just tell them what time you're coming. And they really don't want to move your cake.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 1:38pm
post #7 of 9

I always aim for at least 2hrs ahead of time. That gives me enough time to fix anything that might come up in the delivery. And remember to take extra icing and spatulas with you so you can fix it on site!

blueirus Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 4:18am
post #8 of 9

Thank you everyone. The delivery went great and the bride and groom were very happy. I really appreciate all your help and it made things way less stressful =)

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 4:58am
post #9 of 9

Congratulations on a successful job, bleuirus! Aren't people on here wonderful? Always ready with helpful information. I don't know what I'd do without CakeCentral!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%