Romance Readers??? Check Out "falling For Gracie"

Lounge By KJ62798 Updated 13 Apr 2011 , 1:37am by Elcee

KJ62798 Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 6

I have to toss out a rec for Susan Mallery's "Falling for Gracie". The heroine is an upscale, wedding cake designer who seems to have all the crazy problems with friends & family that we see so often here on CC.

Her bridezilla sister wants an AMAZING cake for free. Her mother tells the local historical society she will do cakes for free. The historical society wonders if "her little cake business" could toss together sheet cakes for 300 for free since they have "such a tight budget".

So far it is very sweet and a little campy but the baking aspect rings very true. The only error seems to be that she bakes legally from home but the book is set in CA where that is a no-no.

Kristy

5 replies
JenFailla Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 6

sounds cute! I'll have to add that to my "books to read when I get 3 seconds!" icon_smile.gif I used to read quite often, but after a kid, work and now trying to practice my cakes, that list just gets longer, and longer, and longer! icon_smile.gif Thanks for the recommendation! icon_smile.gif Also, Nora Roberts has a series of 4 books about friends who run a wedding business- the names are escaping me right now, but each book highlights each of the friends: one is the planner, and the others are each a florist, a photographer and a baker. Very cute books. Happy reading!

KJ62798 Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenFailla

sounds cute! I'll have to add that to my "books to read when I get 3 seconds!" icon_smile.gif I used to read quite often, but after a kid, work and now trying to practice my cakes, that list just gets longer, and longer, and longer! icon_smile.gif Thanks for the recommendation! icon_smile.gif Also, Nora Roberts has a series of 4 books about friends who run a wedding business- the names are escaping me right now, but each book highlights each of the friends: one is the planner, and the others are each a florist, a photographer and a baker. Very cute books. Happy reading!




I have all 4 of the Bride Quartet by Nora Roberts. "Savor the Moment" is about the baker. LOVE them--read them twice.

My kiddos know not to bother mommy when she's reading. icon_rolleyes.gif

Kristy

Elcee Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 12:56am
post #4 of 6

I read a cute romanic comedy called Wedding Season by Katie Fforde and while the main character is not a cake decorator, there is one featured prominently. She is a hobbyist and must find a commercially approved kitchen (in England) in which to make a wedding cake. Here's an older thread about books featuring cakers icon_biggrin.gif

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=629270&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=heroine&&start=0

KJ62798 Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 1:12am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

I read a cute romanic comedy called Wedding Season by Katie Fforde and while the main character is not a cake decorator, there is one featured prominently. She is a hobbyist and must find a commercially approved kitchen (in England) in which to make a wedding cake. Here's an older thread about books featuring cakers icon_biggrin.gif

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=629270&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=heroine&&start=0




Ooooohh....thanks for the link to more book ideas. I just got a NookColor & I'm on the hunt for things to download.

I had forgotten about Mallery's Bakery Sisters trilogy. I read the Mott-Davidson mysteries years ago but I'm sure I'm way behind.

I just finished Mallery's "Almost Home" which is more chick-lit than straight up romance. The main character is a chef who leaves the restaurant biz after a divorce and starts a cookware store with classes. The book includes recipes. From the looks of her FB page & website, Mallery is an avid cook/baker with lots of food references in her books.

Elcee Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 1:37am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ62798

I just finished Mallery's "Almost Home" which is more chick-lit than straight up romance. The main character is a chef who leaves the restaurant biz after a divorce and starts a cookware store with classes. The book includes recipes. From the looks of her FB page & website, Mallery is an avid cook/baker with lots of food references in her books.




I'll have to check those out! I'm actually more into chick lit thatn romance. Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%