Character Cake Question

Decorating By ltlepaw Updated 12 Apr 2011 , 4:15pm by CWR41

ltlepaw Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 4

I'm making a yo gabba gabba cake. I've drawn out a design that I'm going to put on the cake. I'd like to "flood" the character's like you would on a cookie. I've never done this on a cake. I was going to base layer the cake in butter cream and then flood in buttercream. Has anyone done this, or should I just stick to flooding w/ Royal icing? Anyone have any recipes for getting a buttercream that would harden up like a royal icing. All the detail work would be done on the top of the cake not on the sides, so I'm not as worried about it sliding off. Any help is appreciated!

Sorry for the crappy pic of my design, don't have a scanner nearby.

3 replies
ltlepaw Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 3:18pm
post #2 of 4

hmm..trying to add an attachment of my design...

lol...never mind about the attachment, have no idea what I'm doing there[/img]

2txmedics Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 4

you have to size down the picture in order for it to load here and show up...I use pic nik

CWR41 Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 4:15pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltlepaw

I was going to base layer the cake in butter cream and then flood in buttercream. Has anyone done this, or should I just stick to flooding w/ Royal icing? Anyone have any recipes for getting a buttercream that would harden up like a royal icing. All the detail work would be done on the top of the cake not on the sides, so I'm not as worried about it sliding off.

People to this all the time in buttercream (think of all those star-filled drawings--only filled in with a smaller tip and smoothed out). Why do you want it to harden up? If the detail work is being piped directly on the top of the cake and won't need to be transfered to another spot anyway, it won't need to dry hard.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%