Palm Sunday Cake?

Decorating By weech Updated 12 Apr 2011 , 6:54pm by imagenthatnj

weech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weech Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 5

Friends of the family have asked me to make them a cake for a Palm Sunday event this weekend. They asked for a 12" round yellow cake with lemon curd filling and buttercream icing - easy enough.

The decorations, though, I'm not sure about. She asked if I could use fresh blueberries, or if not, maybe Easter egg shaped fondant decorations on the top. I'm having trouble figuring out a way to make this look nice. I could do a basket weave around the sides of the cake and fill the top with berries... but otherwise, I'm out of ideas. I don't want to just stick flat fondant decorations on top - seems so blah!

Help!

4 replies
caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 5

I wouldn't use Easter eggs or anything of that sort. Palm Sunday is a religious day, so I would probably try to include some of the more religious aspects of Easter. Maybe do a leaf border that looks similar to palm leaves with some lilies or a cross or something. I hope that helps!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weech Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the ideas! Those cakes are beautiful! I'm afraid to go too religious because the easter eggs were her idea. I'll probably try to do something fun and springy with fruits and maybe 3D fondant eggs or something.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 5

You're welcome. I thought about taking the palm sunday theme too seriously and I think it's better to do something fun and springy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%