Fondant Or Gumpaste For Decor??

Baking By Cream Updated 12 Apr 2011 , 1:54pm by Cupcations

Cream Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 12:18pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone,

i'm struggling a bit with my cupcake decorations. Recently i used just normal fondant for apple cupcakes. I used a mini apple cookie cutter which were great. However fondant tends to be very fragile and soft and a lot of the cut outs broke even after i left them to dry for 2 days. (when i picked them up to place on the cakes). They also started to flop after a few hours due to the moisture of the buttercream! AHHHHHHHHHHHH

Gumpaste over here (or flowerpaste uk) is much more expensive but the cut outs are much stronger.

Sprinkles and dc cupcakes use a lot of fondant on their cakes which appear fabulous! I wonder if it is fondant or the stronger gumpaste?!!

Any ideas about my dilemma would be fab!

Thanks everyone x x

4 replies
Aurora_333 Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 1:03pm
post #2 of 5

I use a 50/50 mixture of gumpaste and fondant. That works really well for me. Hope that helps.

sarahkate80 Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 5

I agree, I use half and half. It is cheaper and dries a lot nicer. All of my stuff on my quilt cake is half and half except for the quilt itself and it helped a ton! Good luck!

Cream Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 1:48pm
post #4 of 5

thanks soo much guys! that's a great idea!

Cupcations Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 5

I always use fondant for my CC toppers & they never fail, the trick is to NEVER cover them all the way.
Do not place them in the clam shells or plastic containers(Tupperware) until the minute they are to be delivered. Or put them in a cardboard box, anything that keeps them breathing

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%