A Wedding Of 500 People And You Wanna Spend Whaaat?

Decorating By Cakes-and-bakes Updated 13 Apr 2011 , 3:59pm by JohnnyCakes1966

Cakes-and-bakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakes-and-bakes Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 9:46am
post #1 of 28

customer: hello, I love your bride and groom pops! how much?
Me: thank you, they are xx per pop.
customer: could you box them as pairs?
me: yep! for an additional fee.
customer: well there are 500 people coming, how much woulod my total be?
me: well at xx a pop and 2 pops in a box, your total would be $2000, and thats without the boxing fee.
customer: whaaaaat? and boxing fee whaaat?
me: yes, it would take me about 2 daya to box,tie, and attach label to 500 boxes. there is a fee.
customer: what if I box themmyself?
me: i dont think you realize how much work that involves, or considered the fact that you might not have enough fridge/counter space for 500 boxes.
customer: I can get my sisters to help me, I'll just box them myself.
me: ok, up to you, then your total would be a flat 2000.
customer: why so much?? is there anyway you can come down?

me: no, my cake pops are hand dipped and hand rolled and hand painted. it would take me about 2-3 weeks of working soley on your order to get 1000 of them done, as I work alone. I would have to turn down many other orders to do yours. with 500 people at your wedding, I doubt you are going to find any "cheap" wedding giveaways.
customer:hmm.maybe i should invite less people.

ya think?

I myself was a bride on a budget and I only invited about 50 people to my wedding. The cheapest give away i could find was 2 little chocolates in a cute chiffon baggie. No custom work, no labels, nothing, just 2 little chocolates. But it was within my budget at 1.25 per baggie and I was happy with it. Even my wedding hall was a small room I decorated myself, and my cake was a sheet cake with some flowers on it that was from a local bakery. It was all within my budget, and all stillmade for a nice little memorable wedding. and all very realistic to my budget. Where do these people come from who invite 500 people and dont think theyre going to spend money?? why invite 500? where do you know 500 people?? are you inviting china to your wedding? I think its for the gifts.

27 replies
awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 10:16am
post #2 of 28

Who in the heck invites that many people? Did you ever find out how much she wanted to spend?

Cakes-and-bakes Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 10:25am
post #3 of 28

big show off-ey people I guess. Its not unsual to have large weddings where I live, but the peiople usually know theyre going to be paying out the wa-zoo for it. Ive gotten large orders like that before, but never that large! Max has been 350 people.

And she just said "I'll check with my sister and get back to you" (her neice is the bride), the wedding isnt until november, but she assured me that she definately wants the order from me, as Im the only person in the city providing cake pops/balls, so I dont really have competition. (yet.)

She then asked me how much 1 in a box would be and I said half the price, but again if I am going to box them there is a fee.

I guess we'll find out come november!

Nusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nusi Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 11:00am
post #4 of 28

well where i live its quit normal to be inviting 500 people !! and spending lots of moeny on the wedding.. so i guess it depends on r location .. but i do hear ur pain.. specially with cake pops! those evil things take forever to make.. i made them once from leftover of a carved cake. and i just would not do them again!!! its just torture!
ohh and boxing.. i made some cupcakes for an engagment party once around 50 people and the bride to be just wanted mde wrap it in sulifan paper.. since she was my friend i told her ok.. it took the whoooole morning! never even am i gonna do that again!!

Cakes-and-bakes Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 11:36am
post #5 of 28

i hear you! I get many orders where the customer would like little tags attached to the pop and dont get why there is an additional fee! I have to customize the tag, print it using my ink, take it to get cut professionally, punch holes through them, and then sit there for hours attaching the tags to the ribbon to the box! When they only order a dozen or two thats work yes, but doing it with 100 plus is just ugh!

and yessss...cake pops are evil little buggers! However im good at them, and no one else around sells them, and people here seem to love them, so thats whats paying my bills! But man theyre work!

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 3:37pm
post #6 of 28

How can people not do simple math?

If you take 10 people out to dinner, buy them dessert and a little parting gift, you have to figure that is AT LEAST
$15 per plate
$3 for a slice of cake
+ $3 momento

If you multiply that by 5oo ( since you MUST invite your 500 nearest and dearest friends. That totals out to over $10,500.

Now add to that the cost of tablecloths, centerpieces, chairs, tables, a hall, music, a dance floor, flowers, blah, blah, blah.
The whole shock over $2000 shows that she's clue-less about what they are getting into.
She's about to get a lesson in party throwing.
Poor, dear.
Yeah, you'll hear from her again, but the guest list will be pared down when reality sets in.

mommachris

StacyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StacyN Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 4:01pm
post #7 of 28

Sounds like she might be in the early, early stages of planning if she is considering cutting the guest list just like that. I think guest list size has a lot to do with culture, area, and well, money! Where I live there are more and more people inviting 300-500 people to their wedding. The largest wedding I have been to was 600 people. Maybe she will call you back after she cuts the guest list realizing she cant afford to invite that many people icon_smile.gif

kneenah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneenah Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 6:32pm
post #8 of 28

What i dont understand is they have enough money to have 500 guest but dont have enough for anything else.. i personally think she was making it seem like her wedding was that big but it really wasnt... smh

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 7:07pm
post #9 of 28

Wow....that's classic. People have NO clue how much time and effort goes into something like that. They just think they "look cute" and should cost a "cute" price.

Cakes-and-bakes Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 8:08pm
post #10 of 28

I think the most outrageous thing a 'customer' has ever done in my circle, wasnt to me but to my friend. She called stating there was a big graduation party being thrown by her college for all graduates and theyre parents. She wanted my friend, who does custom cakes, to make them a cake large enough for 300 servings, plus 500 cupcakes to match, and a custom wooden stand. She told my friend she would let her have her business cards, banners, signs, everything all over the college so everyone knew she made it, as she is opening up a shop at the mall in about a month.
When my friend quoted her via text message, the woman (who was a previous customer of hers) called her immidiately and insisted that the whole thing be done for free. My friend said "WHY?" she said, because, I'm advertizing for you for all these people! dont you understand business? this is a sponsorship we cant afford that!"
My friend asked me what I thought and I said hell no, that she is just a scammer trying to get a free cake. How can a college afford to throw this enormous party and not have enough money for the cake? When my friend got back to her and told her there is no way she would do all that for free, particularly the woodwork would cost her a few hundred dollars, the woman whined and groaned that they deserve to get it for free since her name would be up there.
My friend in my opinion is the best decorator in town and she doesnt need the free advertizing. she has to reject 20+ orders on a daily basis.
ughhh. cheapskates and scammers really get to me. Sponsership? free advertizing? my FOOT.

Navyempress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Navyempress Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 9:13pm
post #11 of 28

I absolutely cannot for the life of me understand the "thinking" or lack thereof, when creating a guest list for 500 people. Yes, you will get a ton of gifts, but you will spend an outrageous amount just to accommodate them. I can't justify going into debt to get gifts. Just save the money and use it to buy the gifts you didn't get. Duh! Tens of thousands of dollars for a crock pot and bath towels?? I just don't get it!

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 9:44pm
post #12 of 28

I say good for you! for not backing down on your pricing. I think people really do want "free cake" because it's "just cake....". I would never approach a florist or a home builder and expect something for free. I think that if you set your pricing you should stick to your pricing. I actually got suckered into donating a $300 cake for someone when I was first starting up. It was a difficult cake and I will not do that again. IF I decide to do that again, it will be my choice...not because I was swindled into it. Don't make me feel guilty for my pricing and talents.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 9:54pm
post #13 of 28

She also needs to know that inviting 500 doesn't mean she'll get 500. We'd reserve the date but the actual number wouldn't come in until 2 weeks before the wedding when they had a better idea. As long as she knows cost per cake ball she'll know how much it is. Bet she enlists her family to make the cake pops! I mean.."It can't be that hard, can it?" icon_rolleyes.gif

MamaDear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaDear Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 10:14pm
post #14 of 28

boy the lady who wanted all those cake pops for a cheapie price must have been out of her mind. She obviously doesnt speak cake and probably compares it to buying those tiny cupcakes from the store that are $2.50 for 12 (still $150.00 for 500 of those little dry buggers). I cant imagine how she would even consider them since most folks would want more than one of them. She better truck it down to the local grocery supermart and get her some sheetcakes to feed 500 folks.

BTW, large weddings arent just for affluent folks. My husband is one of ten kids. His mom is one of ten kids, most of them have at least 6 kids each and one has 12, thereby he has 30+ first cousins in addition to his 9 siblings. Considering that most are married with at least two kids of their own, and those kids are mostly grown with kids thats 250+ people just on his side of the family to invite to my daughter's wedding... not to mention my side and her friends!!!

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 3:02am
post #15 of 28

Mommadear,
I see where you are coming from on large families.
We haven't begun to marry off our children yet but can already see the way that things are going to multiply. We have five girls and four boys.
We might get off easy with the first couple of girls but by the time we get to our baby boy ( he's only two) it's going to be a huge with just immediate family. icon_wink.gif

LadyDi469 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyDi469 Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 3:03am
post #16 of 28

My son will be a "best man" in his friends wedding in July. They asked him if he knew anyone who made cakes...of course he said "my mom does". They wanted to know from him how much I charge. He said he didn't know but he knew for a family members bridal shower, it was discounted and for a baby shower I made one "as my gift to the new mom". So, they assumed since he was going to be in the wedding...the cake would be free!

I asked the bride-to-be how much was her cake budget and she replied, "we didn't think we would have to pay so we don't have one". She said "I thought you gave your cakes away". Told her on occasion for an elderly persons birthday or baby shower, I did BUT NEVER a wedding cake. Her reply was "Oh, so I have to pay?" I told her to get with her husband to be and discuss it, then make an appointment with me and we will sit down and I will give them a price. She shows up at my house on a Sunday, during dinner and asked if we could talk cake! I told her no, she would have to make an appointment. She wanted to know why I couldn't talk cake and eat at the same time! Hope she doesn't come back!!

ATCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATCakes Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 3:31am
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneenah

What i dont understand is they have enough money to have 500 guest but dont have enough for anything else.. i personally think she was making it seem like her wedding was that big but it really wasnt... smh

Well you have to feed and water them. And of course we must have the overpriced wedding dress-God forbid the bride looks frumpy!!

ATCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATCakes Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 3:31am
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneenah

Well you have to feed and water them. And of course we must have the overpriced wedding dress-God forbid the bride looks frumpy!!

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 3:35am
post #19 of 28

Cakes-and-Bakes I have to say your cake pops are amazing! I've only made them twice and boy are they ugly! icon_smile.gif I made some tonight for an aunt that just loves them but oh my do I need a lesson or ten! Stick to your guns, they're worth every penny you charge for them!!!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 3:40am
post #20 of 28

Your grad pops are so cute! I'm not a "cake pop" person but I always try to do something cute for the Kindergarten Grad cakes each year (esp when one of MY kids is in the class, like this year!) at my kids' school and I think that would be POIFECT! icon_smile.gif

Anyway....

Bride and groom pops? $2/each sounds like a great price. Its not your fault she invited a bazillion guests.....I cannot imagine decorating 500 bride pops and 500 groom pops. UGH.

Reyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reyna Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 4:00am
post #21 of 28

I got an order today for a Quinceanera cake for 1000 people LMAO!!! they said its an open invitation anyone from town can come. They want a castle for one thousand people!!! of course i suggested smaller and sheet cakes they said No, its for next year so they have a year and half to pay for it and that's what they want to do!

shaibaer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaibaer Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 4:10am
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommachris

Mommadear,
I see where you are coming from on large families.
We haven't begun to marry off our children yet but can already see the way that things are going to multiply. We have five girls and four boys.
We might get off easy with the first couple of girls but by the time we get to our baby boy ( he's only two) it's going to be a huge with just immediate family. icon_wink.gif

Lol MommaChris,

I think I'd start talking NOW about how romantic eloping is!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 5:59am
post #23 of 28

mommachris already used my "do the math" line, but yeah .....

$4 for a cup of coffee isn't much money ..... unless you have to buy 500 of them!!! icon_eek.gif

Big Duh, bride!! icon_razz.gif

Do.
The.
Math.
icon_lol.gif

Teecakesandcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teecakesandcookies Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 6:19am
post #24 of 28

Well this is when it's really going to get ugly when she finds a way to get the money for those 500 boxed pops by you and only 150 guest show up she will die stiff! in her wedding dress be cause she will then be stuck with all of the extras!!! I think it's for the gifts too! icon_biggrin.gif

Cakes-and-bakes Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 8:21am
post #25 of 28

Lady Di...omg, I cant believe her! how rude!! I think the fact alone that she just showed up like that indicates she was still expecting to somehow get a free cake,since she wasnt going about it in a 'business like-make an appointment' way. Did she end up ordering or go to walmart?

KSmill thank you! theyre hard work and take a lot of practice! I still get the ugly ones or the cracked ones here and there. Keep trying,You'll get the hang of it!

Kit...thank you! those are pretty simple compared to other designs! the caps are a chocolate i found at the store (dont remember the name) and a half an oreo, all stuck together with chocolate. you can use a thinly cut piece of starburst or any sour gummie candy for a tassle but I couldnt find any. and a tip, let the chocolate that binds the hat pieces dry upside down. ie, have the oreo flat on the table.

Reyna wow! you have a lot of work ahead of you!!! Please make sure to get a deposit! the most cake pops I ever made for one order was 1200, but I had brought in friends to help, and they were just layed out on trays. not boxed. Im sure she will call back, so come november I'll see what the new guest list is. The funny part is she wants to travel on a plane with them!! I have no clue how she thinks she is going to travel with 1000 cake pops?! But she is insistant, and it is a lot of money that I do need.
Thank you everyone for the posts!

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 8:34am
post #26 of 28

I think people expect things to get cheaper the more people you are catering for (if you know what I mean!) and its definitely true that people see cake as 'just cake'. I'm pretty new to cake decorating and have been making cakes for friends and family, my friend asked me to do two cakes for separate occasions and I worked out the cost at about £30, which is just for a guitar cake in my pictures and a small ish baby shower cake for about 20-30 people..nothing fancy at all! I have actually ended up spending more on them really, and thats not including the gel colouring I've used, the lustre dust, or any of my time, especially making lots of little gumpaste flowers and baby clothes and a baby (as I'm pretty much just a hobbyist and want the chance to practice)

Maybe they will try and have a go at doing them themselves! good luck to them if they do lol. icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 2:56pm
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifercullen

I think people expect things to get cheaper the more people you are catering for

Ah, but they go the other way, too. I had a bride call for a catering and asked "Do I get a discount since its only for 50 people?" I told her, "Actually, you'll pay more because its ONLY 50 people" and then launched into a small educational speech about overhead (it costs the same amount of money to drive my van to the venue regardless of how much food is in the back of it; it costs the same amount of money to rent a tablecloth regardless of how much food is sitting on top of it.) That one was a first for me. icon_eek.gif

Edited to add: Its amazing what people call "more". At the hotel, I FREQUENTLY get folks who ask:

Them: How much for a night?
Me: $89
Them: How much if I stay for 5 days?
Me: $89 times 5. (big duh! do the math!)

We have people who stay for 8 and 12 weeks (and some longer than that!) and this guy thinks 5 days merits some kind of discount? Oh brother!!!

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 3:59pm
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes-and-bakes

The woman insisted that the whole thing be done for free because I'm advertizing for you for all these people! dont you understand business?

Businesses, churches, even brides have asked me for a discount if they allow me to leave my business cards near the cake or credit me in the program. I tell all of them the same thing, "You pay full price, tell everyone I made the cake, and I'll give you a kick back on every order placed by anyone who attended your event!"

Sorry...I'm not leaving my expensive business cards on a table where they might or might not get picked up by people who probably won't place an order. And if it's a wedding, many of the guests will live out-of-town and would never order from me anyway!

I don't have a problem with people asking for a discount but I lose patience when I tell them no and they get whiny. I'm sorry you invited more people to your event than you have the money to pay for, but I'm not your daddy! I'm not going into debt or taking a monetary hit for you. Believe it or not, it isn't my heart's desire for you to have a big, beautiful cake...unless you're paying me to provide it! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%