White Chocolate Source... Long

Decorating By coldtropics Updated 13 Apr 2011 , 8:05am by coldtropics

coldtropics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coldtropics Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 8:16am
post #1 of 8

Ok.. so i recently decided to start using white chocolate vs buttercream on my fondant cakes... the problem is the white chocolate im costing out is bookoo expensive... Decided to use callebaut...out of felchin valrhona elrey & guittard seems the most reasoably priced but still costly... 11kg runs about $150 on average. When doing larger wedding cakes this can get costly when trying to cover 16 & 18" tiers. I pride myself on using premium ingredients and belgian chocolate but errr uhh... idk. Im considering trying to do some jerry rigging adding cocoa butter to coating chocolate to = couveture. Ohh.. the shame. icon_redface.gif Does anyone have a great US source or an overseas source with reasonable shipping. I know alot of the Aussie bakers cover their mud cakes with WCG but how do you afford to do it??? Thanks in advance

7 replies
coldtropics Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 2:39am
post #2 of 8

I should have said White chocolate ganache.... icon_smile.gif but noone.. absolutely noone has any input? icon_sad.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 3:10am
post #3 of 8

My only input is to switch back to buttercream. hahaha. But I don't think that's the input you wanted! Best of luck!

Jmlpitbull Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jmlpitbull Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 3:25am
post #4 of 8

Amazon dot com is a great place to lOok.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 3:41am
post #5 of 8

I guess if customers want a premium product, which ganache is, then ultimately they have to pay for it. I would love to find a good source of bulk quality chocolate myself, because I only ever use ganache under fondant (been there, tried buttercream, NEVER doing that again - ugh, what a nightmare!!).

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 3:43am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral3

I guess if customers want a premium product, which ganache is, then ultimately they have to pay for it. I would love to find a good source of bulk quality chocolate myself, because I only ever use ganache under fondant (been there, tried buttercream, NEVER doing that again - ugh, what a nightmare!!).

I would love to use a high quality chocolate but I don't use it often enough to justify the cost...so I buy the Ghiradelli dark chocolate at Sam's Club.

I use buttercream under my fondant and it works fine... but I sure do love the nice fancy chocolate. Yum! Ghiradelli tastes pretty good though, I just wish Sam's sold a lighter flavor instead of just the 60% kind.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 3:49am
post #7 of 8

I know LOADS of people use buttercream under fondant flawlessly & I am in awe of them. I can't do it! I tried and the experience was HORRID. So now just I stick with what works for me! Ganache is SUCH a great, solid surface to cover.

coldtropics Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 8:05am
post #8 of 8

I agree with about ganache... the surface "dries' somewhat vs meringue buttercream... on tiny bump and thats it. icon_mad.gif
Ive seen white chocolate Ghiardelli chips at the wholesale clubs but never paid it more than a glance figuring that its not actual white chocolate but i'll give it another look next time im in... Dont know if it will work well for ganache but neither does spending $200 to ganache a cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%