How To Apply Fondant Accents To A Buttercream Frosted Cake?

Decorating By jvega21 Updated 12 Apr 2011 , 1:58pm by Mikel79

jvega21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jvega21 Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 4:15am
post #1 of 4

Hi,

I'm making a three tier cake but the person i'm making it for does not want it covered in fondant, just wants the accents (stars, name, etc.). In the past, the fondant will get soft and become a mess. I plan on making it the night before, any suggestions? Do i wait for the buttercream to be hard? Room temp? I'm clueless, Please help!

3 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 4:45am
post #2 of 4

I only use buttercream with fondant accents. My cake is cold so the BC is firm when I apply them. Just brush a very small bit of water or buttercream to the back of your decor and put on the cake. Unless your BC melts at room temperature you should have no problem. Things like polka dots and flowers and such will get soft, but they won't fall off...at least it's never happened to me.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 5:02am
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

I only use buttercream with fondant accents. My cake is cold so the BC is firm when I apply them. Just brush a very small bit of water or buttercream to the back of your decor and put on the cake. Unless your BC melts at room temperature you should have no problem. Things like polka dots and flowers and such will get soft, but they won't fall off...at least it's never happened to me.

Like carmijok I too chill my cake before applying my fondant accents. I also use piping gel. That stuff works great. I've tried water too. Both are good. With water, just a little goes a long way, almost use a damp brush.
Best Wishes

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 1:58pm
post #4 of 4

Hi!

Take a look at my cake here....

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2001899

This is a BC iced cake. The fish on the sides are made out of fondant and I "glued" them to the sides with melted chocolate.

If you take a peek at my cake pics, just about all of my fondant decorations are done like this.

HTH

Michael

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%