Has Anyone Info On The New Craze Unfrosted Wedding Cakes?

Decorating By labmom Updated 12 Apr 2011 , 11:09pm by Ummeiko

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 3:49am
post #1 of 18

Hi
I have an out of state bride who mailed me photos of a cake that she wants for her wedding this october. She decribed herself as qirky and out there and wanting something unusual and plain not fancy.

Well, was I shocked when the photo was a 4 tier wedding cake with no frosting. None. You could see what ever fillings that you wanted between the tiers but no outside frosting. Her mom told me that I should make smaller tiers to put in the kitchen for those guests who liked frosting and wanted a piece with frosting.

I am just puzzled. I don't know where she got the photo but I have only found a few examples of this cake. Anyone else?
To me.. its easy, but also ugly. Definately different!

17 replies
sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 4:07am
post #2 of 18

Never heard of such but I wish you would link us to a pic of the cake. You defiantly have my curiosity peaked. icon_confused.gif

CAKELADIE1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKELADIE1 Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 4:12am
post #3 of 18

I just uploaded a picture of a cake I did last summer that was not frosted. The bride brought me the picture of this cake that was on a magazine cover, so it is not my original design. It turned out pretty cool and the bride was very happy. I was worried about it drying out, but the filling made up for the lack of icing.

tania9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tania9 Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 4:24am
post #4 of 18

Hilary Duff had one for her wedding cake.
I think it looks pretty icon_smile.gif

http://ultimatebridalmag.com/812/go-vintage-with-a-no-frosting-wedding-cake-2/

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 4:40am
post #5 of 18

Oh God...this is the new trend...no frosting! Or maybe no frosting but with fondant accents like polka dots here and there. I know one thing...you sure can't hide any baking mishaps with cake spackle on a cake like this!
It's interesting, but...PLEASE tell me this is not the newest craze. icon_razz.gif

fedra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fedra Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 4:40am
post #6 of 18

May Clee-Cadman's "cakes for romantic occasions" has a 3 tiered "raspberry ripple" cake thar has no frosting but is dusted with powdered sugar. It looks beautiful and delicious. I am sure her version of "unfrosted cake" makes up for the missing frosting. I also noticed that cakeladie1 posted a picture today of a cake similar to May Clee-Cadman's raspberry ripple.

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 4:46am
post #7 of 18

Gasp! icon_eek.gif A cake with no frosting??? That should be illegal! It's the best part! But I guess if that's what the poor confused individual wants then so be it lol.

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 4:49am
post #8 of 18

Made one for a nutritionist. torted nd filled, filled leaving fillings oozing out. covered dusted with powdered sugar. Put fresh fruit on the edge of each tier with bright red roses...

Was beautiful. I will tryto find the pic and post it.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 4:54am
post #9 of 18

Everything old is new again....

Undecorated wedding cake thread from 2007:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-2109491.html#2109491

HTH

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 4:57am
post #10 of 18

there was a long post about this awhile back, i'll see if i can find it icon_biggrin.gif i think it looks nice actually! i hope to make one some day!

CupQuequito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupQuequito Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 5:11am
post #11 of 18

LOVE IT! (I don't like bc anyways. :p)

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 5:49am
post #12 of 18

My mom would love this...she is NOT an icing person. Although I bet she would not like the look of it. Personally it would freak me out that it would dry out.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 11:57am
post #13 of 18

It's difficult

- refridgerating an uniced cake with a perishable filling

- you have no come-back when the bride complains that the cake was dry [after sitting for 4 hours in the reception hall]

- to charge for cake decorating when there is none

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 12:35pm
post #14 of 18

I saw this on the Martha Stewart website a couple weeks ago. Its looks kind of cool.. in a crazy way! icon_biggrin.gif I still gotta have my icing! icon_smile.gif

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 12:43pm
post #15 of 18

Well, I don't like frosting or fondant but I have to say that looks...unfinished and weird. I don't like it at all. It doesn't look simple, it looks like someone was lazy and didn't finish the cake.

Stephy42088 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephy42088 Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 12:56pm
post #16 of 18

I'm doing one for a bride at the end of may, she wanted a really untraditional, organic and island type feel so that is the picture she brought me. Makes my job easy!

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 5:40pm
post #17 of 18

I wont be able to post the pics here at CC, I got my cupcake that had a cute three colored top deleted b/c it was "undecorated" it had no frosting.

The pic on the link was kinda a pretty cake, I can almost dig it. but frosting is the best part... umm maybe ppl will start to want cakeless cakes and it's nothing but buttercream.. ummmm

Ummeiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ummeiko Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 11:09pm
post #18 of 18

I'm not a fan of the taste of icing, unless it's chocolate or whipped cream (buttercream is just too sugary for me). But even so, I can't not decorate a cake with icing. A nicely iced cake makes such a great canvas.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%