So, Now I'm Confused...

Decorating By srkmilklady Updated 12 Apr 2011 , 1:12am by chefjess819

srkmilklady Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 12:22am
post #1 of 5

I am one that loves to use dusts...lustre, disco, pearl. I'm watching a re-run of Cake Boss today and I see him decorating a cake with "edible" disco dust. Now I use the exact same disco dust that he was showing, but I hear that the general consensus on CC is that disco dust is made of plastic and although it is non-toxic it is not edible. So is Buddy feeding people plastic??? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

4 replies
CWR41 Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 12:47am
post #2 of 5

I guess so.

I remember watching that episode and waiting until the end to see if that part of the cake was served. I don't recall it showing them slice that part of the cake... perhaps they removed those panels before serving that portion. Did you see if it was actually served?

Coral3 Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 12:52am
post #3 of 5

From the Rainbow Dust website:

Quote:
Quote:

NON TOXIC GLITTERS (NON-TOXIC - not harmful) The Sparkle Range

Non toxic glitters can be used on decorations that are easily removed. If consumed, then the product will cause no harm and will simply pass through the digestive system. This product can not be classed as edible as this would mean it is digestible and is classed as a food, therefore we simply have to label it as Non-Toxic




...so not technically edible, because the body does not digest it, but harmless if eaten.

tokazodo Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 12:58am
post #4 of 5

Eww!

I can hear it now, "Hey, pass me that plastic soda bottle, I've got the munchies!"

chefjess819 Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 1:12am
post #5 of 5

i figure, the minute amount that is on each slice of cake wouldn't harm anyone. even if it's non-digestable, it should "pass on through". but the dusts will probably end up going the way of the silver dragees.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%