Help With Stacking Cakes

Decorating By krzykakes Updated 12 Apr 2011 , 12:03am by CWR41

krzykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krzykakes Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 5

I'm going to be doing a cake for my dh's 50th class reunion. It will have two tiers. Tier one will be two layers 14x14x2. Once torted and filled it will be 4 inches tall. Tier two will be 8x10.

Question 1: Do I need to use a cake board halfway between the first 4 layers since I will be putting another tier on top? Or will supporting the 8x10 layer with dowels and a cake board be enough?

Question 2: Which would look best for the second tier: 1 8x10x2 or 2 8x10x2 layers?

In case it makes a difference, I will be using buttercream, not fondant.

thanks

Sherrie

4 replies
sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 5

I think I get what you are saying. If your bottom tier is 4 layers of cake,3 layers of filling, you would just need a board under your 8" for support, along with dowels of some sort. IMO, the too tier should be the same height as the bottom, undress you're goin for the drastic difference look, but that's just my opinion. HTH.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 11:06pm
post #3 of 5

I'm with sweetlybaked, I like the tiers the same height and I would support the upper tier.
Hope this helps, Good Luck with your cake!

krzykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krzykakes Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 11:10pm
post #4 of 5

TY !! I'll post a pic when I do it !

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 12:03am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by krzykakes

I'm going to be doing a cake for my dh's 50th class reunion. It will have two tiers. Tier one will be two layers 14x14x2. Once torted and filled it will be 4 inches tall. Tier two will be 8x10.

Question 1: Do I need to use a cake board halfway between the first 4 layers since I will be putting another tier on top? Or will supporting the 8x10 layer with dowels and a cake board be enough?

If halfway between the first 4 layers means "torted layers", no you only need a cake board (and supports) for every 4" of cake height. Yes, supporting the 8x10 layer with dowels and a cake board will be enough (as long as the support system is inside the 14x14x4 tier, not inside the 8x10 layer.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzykakes

Question 2: Which would look best for the second tier: 1 8x10x2 or 2 8x10x2 layers?

IMO, two 8x10x2 layers (but you may need to adjust for the serving goal.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%