Cookies4kids Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 9:07pm
post #1 of

I wanted to make little bird nest cookies for Easter, but I wanted the grass to be softer for eating but more stable like Royal Icing. I decided to mix buttercream and thick royal at a 1 to 1 ratio and it worked out so good. It stiffened up nicely and is not as fragile as plain buttercream. I know I will use this a lot for decorating cookies and cupcakes and wondered it anyone else has done this and how you liked it.

15 replies
lyndim Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 9:24pm
post #2 of

Never tried it but I will now, thanks for the tip!

Solecito Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 9:31pm
post #3 of

I'm going to try it, sounds interesting!!!
TFS

carmijok Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 9:37pm
post #4 of

That sounds like a great idea! I will try it! thumbs_up.gif

solascakes Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 9:52pm
post #5 of

Wow ,I thought royal icing cannot stand oil or butter. Won't it breakdown ?.

infinitsky Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 10:10pm
post #6 of

This sounds like an amazing idea. Please if any of you tries it, let us know how you like it as Cookies4kids. Thanks icon_smile.gif

cheatize Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 3:23am
post #7 of

I have a frosting recipe that uses meringue powder, so it makes sense to me.

Cookies4kids Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 11:28am
post #8 of

I started with just 1/2 cup of each because I didn't want to waste the frosting if it didn't work, but it didn't seperate and piped really nice. I checked the frosting this morning and it turned out just the way I had hoped. Nice and stiff on the outside and it you push hard enough, it is still soft in the middle.

TerriLynn Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 11:41am
post #9 of

Thanks so much for the tip. I'm so going to try this icon_smile.gif

gingerbreadtogo Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 3:05am

Royal cannot set up completely hard with butter or anything greasy.. In this case that's what she was going for.

stvaz10 Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 9:40pm

I've never tried that before but it is a good idea, I want to try it now icon_cool.gif

globalgatherings Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 3:50am

Thanx for the tip, sounds like a great idea thumbs_up.gif

TexasSugar Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 8:19pm

My first WMI suggested that we add left over royal icing to buttercream, in stead of throwing it out. It's basicly the same things, minus the flavor and shortening/butter. Once made royal icing can handle grease. If you introduce grease while you are first making it, it won't wipe up correctly.

olivialovesdogs Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 3:24pm

Nope, I've never tried that. Thanks for the tip. C:

Herekittykitty Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 5:36pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookies4kids

I started with just 1/2 cup of each because I didn't want to waste the frosting if it didn't work, but it didn't seperate and piped really nice. I checked the frosting this morning and it turned out just the way I had hoped. Nice and stiff on the outside and it you push hard enough, it is still soft in the middle.

I use a buttercream frosting w/ mereingue powder to crust, however still have trouble with smooshing when packing. Does this get hard enough to stack w/o smooshing?

Also, can you thin it enough to flood/pour? That is something I'm trying to figure out b/c my peeps don't like the taste of royal but it would sure save time if I could create a firm smooth base to pipe/stencil/paint on with BC w/o having to spread it on w/ a knife.

Cookies4kids Posted 11 May 2011 , 11:30am

Mine did not get really hard like all RI would, but I was able to stack the cookies with no problem. The ratio of RI to Buttercream will determine how hard the end product will get.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%