Best Cake For Stacking And Air Bubbles In Fondant....

Decorating By PattiAnn0424 Updated 11 Apr 2011 , 8:04pm by cakedout

PattiAnn0424 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattiAnn0424 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 3

I usually use boxed cakes. Can you tell me the best cake to use for stacking for wedding and birthday cakes....Is the box cakes too moist for this?....Can I use boxed cakes and make them more firm....Seems when I add fondant to them, they are just very "squishy". I want moist cakes, yet firm enough for covering with fondant.

Also, I am having issues on air blubbles in my marshmellow fondant.... I put them in the fridge and freezer. should i let them thaw before i cover them?

Thanks for the help!

2 replies
LisaStephens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaStephens Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 3

I use boxed cake mixes too but I don't mix them using the boxed directions. I use Duncan Hines cake mixes only mixing with 3/4 cup sour cream, 1 cup H2O and 3 eggs. I have done 2 layer stacked birthday cakes covered with fondant and haven't had any problems with firmness or stacking. If you are planning on using for a wedding cake more than 2 layers, I would suggest a pound cake recipe for more denseness. Hope this helps!

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 3

There are several good recipes here on cc that are a "doctored" mix and great for fondant, cake carving, etc. the WASC you see mentioned on here alot is a great one! Also- check the side of your mix package-on the Duncan Hines boxes there is a pound cake recipe that will work.

I would suggest baking an extra day ahead and fridge or freeze the cakes overnight (or longer thumbs_up.gif ). This makes them firm up. Allow the cakes to thaw/come to room temp. before covering.

Once cakes are frosted in buttercream, pop into fridge to chill until firm. Then you can go ahead and cover with MMF.

Use a pin to pop airbubbles and carefully smooth them out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%