Help, Dd's Sweet 16

Decorating By sebrina Updated 18 Apr 2011 , 3:02am by sebrina

sebrina Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 14

So my daughter's sweet 16 party is THIS Saturday. We are expecting around 50 people. She wants something something spectacular (of course). She wants her guests to look at her cake & go... icon_surprised.gif & icon_eek.gif AND she is going with the same hot pink, lime green & zebra prints that all the girls are doing but she wants 'bling' too. So of course, I am tapped out. I cannot begin to get my brain to put together something. HHHEEELLLPPP icon_cry.gif

13 replies
sullymel13 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 14

I just made this one - http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1998547
You can easily switch out the colors as necessary! Pink Cake Box has a lot of good inspiration photos on their theme. What a great undertaking for THIS weekend, but that's what moms do, right? Good luck and have fun!

CalhounsCakery Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 14

sullymel - That is a fantastic cake!!!

sullymel13 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 14

Thanks!

sebrina Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullymel13

I just made this one - http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1998547
You can easily switch out the colors as necessary! Pink Cake Box has a lot of good inspiration photos on their theme. What a great undertaking for THIS weekend, but that's what moms do, right? Good luck and have fun!

Wow great cake! Is that real ribbon & broach? Funny thing is, that is my daughters name! Maybe it's a sign! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for the inspiration!

sullymel13 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 7:04pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks Sebrina! I used fondant for the ribbon. I mixed in Tylose for the bows, and used unedible broaches for the centers. It was my first time using fondant/tylose, and have learned that I prefer using 100% gumpaste. We'll all look forward to seeing your own fabulous creation!

sebrina Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 3:36am
post #8 of 14

Wow, I thought your ribbon was real. thumbs_up.gif Did you do anything special to the broaches before you attached them to the cake?

sebrina Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 2:20pm
post #10 of 14

imagenthatnj love love love that denim cake! How adorable! I think I might try the crystals on wires. Thank you so much! thumbs_up.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 2:34pm
post #11 of 14

You're welcome. I adore that denim cake! I knew it wouldn't match the description you put at the beginning, but I thought it might change your mind, or you can use it some other time. What a great, different cake that combines the ease of jeans with the glamour of rhinestones. I wish I had a cake like that for myself and I'm almost 50!

I saw another cake with crystals on wires, but I see so many things and sometimes I'm not able to put it in my never-ending database and now I can't find it!

sullymel13 Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 6:25pm
post #12 of 14

The denim cake is adorable! The crystals on wires is a great option. On my cake, the broaches started out as rings, so they had something sticking out of the back. I wrapped my fondant around that, then glued them to the loops. When it was all dry, I secured the bows to the cake with chocolate!

imagenthatnj Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 6:35pm
post #13 of 14

sullymel13, I love your cake too! That's how non-edible stuff should be set up on a cake, otherwise it would be hard to take it off and someone might choke on something. I think it's crazy when people do those diamond designs on a cake and put a non-edible shiny stone on each intersection.

sebrina Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 3:02am
post #14 of 14

Well, I did it! Thank you all for the inspirations. I had disaster after disaster with this cake but hey, that is how we learn, right? And it ended with someone telling her that her cake was beautiful & she told them, "Yeah, that's cause my mom rocks!" SCORE! icon_biggrin.gif
Here is a link if you would like to take a look! Thanks again!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2007577

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%