Made Elisa Strauss Cake Recipe

Decorating By KMKakes Updated 13 Apr 2011 , 3:22am by cakesrock

KMKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMKakes Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 15

I have Elisa Strauss book Confetti Cakes. I made her scratch vanilla cake this morning and it taste awesome. I noticed that the texture is somewhat soft yet in the book it makes references to using it in stacked cakes. I am concerned about the softness and how does it hold up to sitting at room temp. for 2-3 days? Has anyone used this cake and if so, how were your results pertaining to stacking, holding up to buttercream and lots of fondant decorations, and holding up to being covered in fondant? thanks in advance.

14 replies
bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 15

I too have her book and would like to know how it holds up

vmertsock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmertsock Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 15

I make it frequently with no problems. Always delicious and holds up well too.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 15

That recipes is a standard 1, 2, 3, 4 cake recipes. I think there is an error in the recipe though. I believe her weight measurement is off from the amount of volume for the flour. If you don't weigh your ingredients you should be okay.

Anyway, given the type of recipe, it will be soft out of the oven, but be stronger after it has cooled.

KMKakes Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 10:55pm
post #5 of 15

Thanks everyone for your post.

@LindaF144a: It's been out of the oven (at the time of original post) over 12 hours. It was baked the night before. Yet it is still pretty soft. The recipe actually has measurements listed that doesn't have to be weighed.

@vmertsock: So are you saying that you have used this to stack, carve, etc. that I have listed above with good results? Does it dry out pretty quickly? I am thinking about using this recipe for a cake this weekend of the which I will start decorating on Thursday night.

Stephy42088 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephy42088 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 11:06pm
post #6 of 15

Its a great sturdy cake, I find it to be delicious and perfect for stacking and carving but had some customers complain that it was dry (although this customer had it in the fridge before serving it). I have since switched to WASC

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 11:14pm
post #7 of 15

You also have to be careful not to over bake it and bake the natural moisture right out of the cake.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 11:34pm
post #8 of 15

I think it was IndyDebbi that said something to the effect you can stack a 'cake' of whipped cream with the proper support. It's NOT the cake that holds up the other tiers it's the support(s) used.

vmertsock Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 12:39am
post #9 of 15

KMKakes-correct. I use it for stacking, carving, etc and it's always delicious. Freezes well too. I've never had a problem with it crumbling, falling apart or being dry even after a few days. Plus I love the crusty top it gets. icon_smile.gif

KMKakes Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 12:56am
post #10 of 15

Thanks-the dryness was one of my concerns. I have baked many scratch cakes yet within a days time it becomes dry. It is becoming harder for me to find box mixes for WASC. It is pushing me find a good, flexible white cake. Glad to know that it freezes well also.

I too have seen Indydebi's post regarding you can stack much if it is properly supported icon_smile.gif

I have looked at many forum post about white cakes yet they are so controversal. The box WASC seems to have an impressing overall result. I am praying for the scratch cake that get the same/similar response. If anyone else have a cake recipe from a book you use, will you reference that to me as well. TIA

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 1:54am
post #11 of 15

A few days ago there was this thread. She said her cake was delicious. Probably true since it comes from Cooks Illustrated. Here it is if you haven't seen it.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=714807&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

vmertsock Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 2:03am
post #12 of 15

I've not had an issue with dryness, although as someone else mentioned you need to an eye open for over baking. That will make it quite dry. That being said, I prefer a more solid cake. I truly do not mean to start a debate or offend anyone, but I have not had a white cake box mix that I like as well. They are often too soft and fluffy for me. I agree a lot of white cakes turn into bricks, but I have not found that to be true with this one. It also takes flavors/zest well for some variety.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 4:18am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMKakes

I have Elisa Strauss book Confetti Cakes. I made her scratch vanilla cake this morning and it taste awesome. I noticed that the texture is somewhat soft yet in the book it makes references to using it in stacked cakes. I am concerned about the softness and how does it hold up to sitting at room temp. for 2-3 days? Has anyone used this cake and if so, how were your results pertaining to stacking, holding up to buttercream and lots of fondant decorations, and holding up to being covered in fondant? thanks in advance.

I have her book too and have made her choc almond cake several times (super yummy!) It crumbled the first time when I tried to decorate it, so I emailed her to find out if I had done something wrong . She was great and email me right back! She said to pop it in the freezer for at least a 1/2 hr before doing anything with it. Works like a charm! It held up great to fondant and BC. I assume the same would apply to the vanilla.

KMKakes Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 2:42am
post #14 of 15

VERY interesting! Thanks everyone.

@vermetsock: I was actually concerned about overcooking it. At the time specified, the cake looked as if it wasn't finished cooking (not a golden brown color, it still looked pretty blonde). So I cooked it a few minutes more (7mins.) The next time I 'll try pulling it out of the oven. I know she suggest in the book applying a simple syrup to the cake. I am afraid that it will make the cake extra sweet and soggy. Yet, she wrote the book with the recipe and suggestions in it-so what do I know icon_smile.gif

@cakesrock: You know I remember reading on one of the directions for a particular carved cake, that you should freeze the cake prior to cutting. Even though I won't be doing a lot of sculpting, I may consider the freezing with more research.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 3:22am
post #15 of 15

It wasn't even for sculpting.. I was just cutting the bigger cake to make mini cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%