What Causes A Cake To Crater??

Baking By Kiddiekakes Updated 13 Apr 2011 , 2:34am by lutie

Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 8

I just baked a cappuccino cake from a box mix and Dr'd extras..The darn cake cratered in the middle and it looks like it never did rise..What could have gone wrong...I baked it at 325 convection like I do all my cakes....Makes me mad.... icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

I afraid to bale anoher one and have it do the same...What a waste of time and ingredients... icon_evil.gif

Thanks thumbs_up.gif

7 replies
cai0311 Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 12:34am
post #2 of 8

This happens to be when I poke a cake with a toothpick and it is not 100% complete. So, I never stick my cakes anymore. I just know how they "feel" when they are done.

I have also had this happen when I take a cake out of the oven too soon.

pattycakesnj Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 12:43am
post #3 of 8

i agree about the toothpick. my chocolate scratch cake does that too so I avoid the toothpick with that recipe

jenng1482 Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 12:56am
post #4 of 8

Its wierd. Only my chocolate cake does it. I also use a doctored box. I find it happens if "poked" too soon or oven door closed to hard or oven is bumped.

scp1127 Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 8:04am
post #5 of 8

I agree about the toothpick. The sides of the cake and the touch method for doneness will stop this.

Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 11:52am
post #6 of 8

I never touched the cake..not even opened the oven so poking it didn't occur..Just makes me so mad...I can still use it but what a letdown..Not sure I will try that recipe again.

scp1127 Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 2:03am
post #7 of 8

Kiddiekakes, sometimes it just happens. I get so frustrated. But each time I make a recipe, I copy down temp, time, and anything relevant. That is why we are scratch bakers... we slather some frosting on our crumbled experiment and our families are so happy because thy finally get cake!!!

lutie Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 2:34am
post #8 of 8

This happened to me last week...the 1/2 ball cake pan is the one which cratered, but the others (9 inch pans) were perfectly baked...the whole structure of the cake had to be changed...I was so upset...same batter, etc. It happens to the best of us...I feel your pain! icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%