Adjustment To Rkt Recipe.

Baking By QuiteContrary Updated 15 Jun 2011 , 2:15am by LindaF144a

QuiteContrary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QuiteContrary Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 10

Does anyone know if you have to change the amount of rice krispies if you crush them first? It just seems like if you crush them, you'll reduce the volume by a good bit (those things are mostly air!), so I wondered if you need to add more cereal to the melted m'mallows to get the right consistency. TIA!

Supposed to use 6 cups uncrushed rice krispies
10 oz marshmallows
3 tbsp butter

Need an answer ASAP please. I am in the process of making them right now..
I also plan to leave out most/all of the butter to get a firmer product

9 replies
Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 10

You could try measuring first, then crushing, or just go by feel. I've never made RKT w/ crushed crispies. I just smush them really well as I model to get rid of the worst of the bumps, then cover w/ melted or modeling chocolate for a smooth surface.

Let us know how it goes...

QuiteContrary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QuiteContrary Posted 3 May 2011 , 1:43pm
post #3 of 10

The first time I tried it I had already pulverized the rice to a fine powder in the food processor. I took 3 cups of this and mixed with 10 oz melted marshmallows. It worked pretty well but was solid and heavy as a brick, especially the more you smushed it down. But it had a smoother finish than the regular un crushed rice recipe.

I next tried it with 6 cups of rice that was not too finely ground plus the 10 oz marshmallows and that worked fine for molding the figure I wanted. It was a bit bumpier than the pulverized version but I used a couple of layers of fondant to smooth it out. So both can work, just depends on what you want

MelissaJeane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaJeane Posted 3 May 2011 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 10

If you have a cheese grater or a similar grating tool you can "sand them" to a smooth finish to avoid bumps in your fondant just make sure you wait until they have set.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 3 May 2011 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 10

You can also cover RKT with melted chocolate. It dries smooth.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 12:43am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144a

So do you pour it or paint it on?

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 1:26am
post #7 of 10

@ cakesrock: You schmear it on! Just as if you were icing a cake.

Personally to answer the op's question, I would take 2 cups of rk and mash and then see how much the volume changed.

Today I had to make rkt for the base of a lighthouse to rest in. I simply put 2 cups of marshmallows in the microwave and melted ...no water..no butter. Then I stirred in 1 cup of rice cereal. It wasn't enough so I mixed in another cup, 2 cups total.
It got me where I needed to go. It didn't matter if the rkt was bumpy or not. It will be used for the base of a lighthouse which is brick. Old brick. The bumpier the better!

airedalian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
airedalian Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 1:35am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaJeane

If you have a cheese grater or a similar grating tool you can "sand them" to a smooth finish to avoid bumps in your fondant just make sure you wait until they have set.

I'm so slow ... I was trying to figure out just how you grate the rice krispies, and then I figured out you meant AFTER...

cab333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cab333 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 1:47am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144a

do you use candy melts or actual chocolate?

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 2:15am
post #10 of 10

I have brushed it on, but you can smear it on with fingers too. Myself, I prefer to use a paint brush.

I have used candy melts. I really would not waste chocolate covering RKT given the price. But that is your decision to make.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%