Silicone Lace Moulds

Decorating By nanefy Updated 12 Apr 2011 , 3:00pm by nanefy

nanefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanefy Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 2:16pm
post #1 of 4

Hi,

I am desperate to start making my own lace moulds because I want to have the freedom to make what I want and not have it cost a fortune. I have been watching some of Ron Ben Israel (my hero) video's and for some of his applique work he passes gum paste through a pasta machine with the lace on top, and then pipes royal icing over the top for some dimension and that's fine, I can try that out. However for some of the more intricate lace that has holes in it that I want to replicate you obviously need to make moulds. I've watched the video on using silicone plastique however the products i.e. sealdit etc are not available in the UK - but also, plastique looks fiddly and time consuming. I've been looking into using RTV Silicone (food grade of course) and there is a silicone mould company in the UK who makes lace moulds using RTV, but there isn't really any information on it.

Has anyone made a lace mould using RTV silicone (the stuff that pours onto the lace instead of like play doh) and if so how did you do it? How do you secure the lace to the bottom of the box so that it doesn't float to the top. Can you get the intricate fine threads using RTV?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

3 replies
MYOM-Dominic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MYOM-Dominic Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 4

Hi Nanefy,

You can use the same method for making lace as is shown in the video only substitute CopyFlex Liquid Silicone to get the type of mold you are looking for. CopyFlex Liquid Silicone is another food grade silicone that is sold in addition to the Silicone Plastique which has a clay like consistencly.

Hope This Helps,

Dominic

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 4

I use it frequently. You can purchase it here in the USA in craft stores and it doesn't have the clay consistency that the other poster said. You mix equal parts together with your fingers then insert the item to be molded into it and wait 20 minutes. It's ready to use immediately. Freezes well (for chocolate) and the detail is great. I love silicone plastique.

nanefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanefy Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 4

I take it you both use the Seal-Dit product? I cannot get this in the UK and really am not interested in trying to source it for delivery from the states because I want something I can buy locally that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
If you don't use Seal-Dit can you tell me what you use to seal your lace? If you do use Seal-Dit, can you tell me what the ingredients are, because you generally find that these 'repackaged' products are simply another product with a brand name attached.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%