"stringing" Chocolate Or Icing

Decorating By jenniemar Updated 11 Apr 2011 , 5:20pm by jenniemar

jenniemar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniemar Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 2:02pm
post #1 of 6

I have been making cake balls (putting to good use my cake scraps) and I would like to get that really thin "drapey" icing string look on top of them-
I have thinned down my icing but the start of the string is always big and the end as I drop it, thin. I would like a thin start and a thin end to the string. Any suggestions or tricks out there?

Thanks in advance!

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 6

I haven't made cakeballs, but I would do this same effect on a few of my cookies.

Line all of them up on your baking sheet. dont' drizzle each one individually .... start at the top of the tray and do one continuous drizzle across every one of them. to eliminate that big blop at the beginning, start the drizzle on the pan (not on the cakeball) then move to the cakeball.

One continuous fluid motion over all of them will do it.

With practice, you'll get the hang of how much squeezing and pressure to use for a smooth finish every time! thumbs_up.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 2:32pm
post #3 of 6

Two suggestions:
Start higher... the farther away the string is before you drop it, the thinner it will be.
Start away from your cake balls... if you let it drop to the side first (on the parchment paper, cooling rack, etc.), the larger start of the string won't touch the cake balls and you can move over to them once you like the consistency of the flow.

edited to add: Oh... like debi says! (I guess she types faster than me.)

jenniemar Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 6

That is a big AHA moment. And a big I should have figured that out myself moment also!
Thanks- I will try it next time. I have posted my cake ball pics.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 2:51pm
post #5 of 6

You start on the pan and higher.

http://www.ciaprochef.com/fbi/dvds/FilledChocolate.html

Watch the video called: View a Sample Video Clip of Filled Chocolate

jenniemar Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 5:20pm
post #6 of 6

Nice video clip! Thanks all! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%