Horse Cake Ideas For A Novice

Decorating By novicecakester Updated 12 Apr 2011 , 5:31pm by jenng1482

novicecakester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
novicecakester Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 1:58pm
post #1 of 7

I am looking for easy ideas for my daughter's birthday cake. She's having it at a local ranch. I am very new to decorating so any ideas are appreciated!!

TIA! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 7

For a simple cake you could find a silhouette of a horse by searching online and print it onto paper and cut out the horse to make a stencil with the horse shape being the hole part (hopefully that description makes sense!), make the cake of the size you want, fill/ice it if you want then put the stencil on top and sprinkle icing (powdered) sugar or coca on top of the cake before carefully removing the paper stencil. Before putting the stencil on you could ice the top half of the cake in blue icing and the bottom half with green then put your horse on and it will be standing in a field. Leave the icing to set before you put the stencil on if you are doing that one. You could also add ready made sugar flowers to the field.

Alternatively you could make a cake and ice it green, adding some flowers if you wish and then add some miniature plastic horses like are sold for little childrens toy farms.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 11:42pm
post #3 of 7

You could try a frozen buttercream transfer (FBCT). They're pretty easy and look great on a cake. Here are some instructions:

http://cakecentral.com/articles/73/how-to-create-a-frozen-buttercream-transfer

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 7

Check out my horse cake...it was for a woman who has horses and loves them....

barb419 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barb419 Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 7

I did a horse head cake for my daughters birthday one year, its in my photos, it was actually my very first cake. I found the instructions on parenting .com. they have the instructions and templates on how to cut each cake, it used a square and round cake. It was very easy for a first time cake. good luck.

mamabaer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamabaer Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 7

I used a wilton pan for my horse head. It was really easy.

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 5:31pm
post #7 of 7

Here is one using the frozen buttercream transfer as mentioned above. I wrapped the base with a bandana "ribbon"
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1644070

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%