What Is Bubble Tea Straws And How Is It Used?

Decorating By stasia1985 Updated 13 Apr 2011 , 2:54pm by stasia1985

stasia1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stasia1985 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 12:18pm
post #1 of 6

Hi guys, just wondering if someone can tell me what bubble tea straws are and how it is used? I've heard of sps before. How do these compare in price, stability and also whether the cake can be assembled before delivery? Thank you!!!

5 replies
angelogoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelogoo Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 12:21pm
post #2 of 6

Tea straws are just like the straws you use to drink juice etc but fatter!! I use them for stackign cakes, the same way you can use wooden dowels and i have travelled with them in stacked cakes.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 6

You can get bubble tea straws at an Asian market for aout a dollar or two per pack. Sometimes they are called boboa tea straws. (bubble/boboa tea is a drink which has tapioca pearls in it. The fat straw is needed to suck up the tapioca.)

You can use the bubble tea straws in place of dowels for stacking. I didn't originally know I could get these at the Asian market and bought a pack of 350 at the restaurant supply for like $13-$16 (don't remember exactly.) i have since learned about sps and not i prefer that. My daughter and her friends now use the straws to drink with or for crafts!

stasia1985 Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 1:11pm
post #4 of 6

thank you so much guys! I'm going to have a look at asian markets for them. I'm doing my borthers wedding cake this September and I am extremely nervous about it as it will be my very first wedding cake!!
I need all the help I can get!!! icon_lol.gif

How many tiers can you have using the tea bubble straws? icon_smile.gif

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 1:51pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentCakeBaker

i have since learned about sps and not i prefer that.

I just re-read my post and realized there is a typo. i meant to say that NOW I prefer sps, not 'not'.

It reeally isn't that expensive and the cakes are so much more secure. I am just a hobby baker so I washed mine and can use it again. I was able to transport a 3-tiered cake 30 minutes away using the sps. i would not have done that with the straws. If you are going to stack on-site, then it is probably fine. Just take into account time issues.

I did my brother's wedding cake a few years ago. I was a crazy person that day, trying to finish the cake that morning. We packed everything all up to get to the wedding, my husband left the favors home (they were sitting right by the front door) so we had to go back to pick them up, which made us late. Then I had to set the cake up when we arrived, then get myself and my daughter (the flower girl) dresses in a bathroom (my daughter's dress would have gotten wringkled in the car seat and I was afraid of getting cake on my dress.) We both look a mess in the photos and the wedding started late, so my advice to you is to plan really, really well and add in extra time on your schedule for each thing you need to do. Better to have to sit around waiting then make the wedding start late!

Here are some tips from my experience:

-Get the cake finished the night before.
-don't let anyone else but you pack the car.
-bring extra cake supplies with you in case of cake emergency (piping bag filled with icing for repairs, spatula
-cushion your schedule with tons of extra time

stasia1985 Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 2:54pm
post #6 of 6

oh ok.....I'm not exactly sure about how I am going to tackle this cake. I was thinking of assembling it there because it will be so much easier to transport but then I would have to put all the finishing touches on it once it is assembled, and that would mean extra time on the day!!!! I know I will be a wreck that whole week!!! I am hoping and praying that everything goes to plan and that there are no nasty suprises!!!
I am going to have a trial of both methods and see how they travel.

Thank so much for the tips. It will be a great experience for me to make this wedding cake. If something does go wrong (fingers crossed it doesn't!) he won't be mad at me!! lol

Is the cake that you made for your bro's wedding in your pictures? icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%