Question About Frosting A 4 Layered Cake

Decorating By snarkle Updated 12 Apr 2011 , 11:49am by snarkle

snarkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkle Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 12:07pm
post #1 of 11

I have a layer of cake then on top of that is frosting, then I have another layer of cake, then I put a piece of a cake board in between the second and third layer.
My question is, on the second layer, do I leave it unfrosted on top and put the cake board on it or do I frost it and then put the cake board on it?

10 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 12:21pm
post #2 of 11

Hmmm, not really understanding.

How tall will the entire cake be when finished?
Is this going to be just a really tall 1 tier cake or is it a 2 tiered cake?

snarkle Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 12:51pm
post #3 of 11

Sorry for not making this clear.
I'm going to have four layers of cake that each cake is 2 inches tall.
So I will have a 2 inch layer of cake (call this layer 1),
then some frosting on top of that,
then I will have another 2 inch layer of cake (call this layer 2),
then the cake board
then I will have another 2 inch layer of cake (call this layer 3),
then some frosting on top of that,
then I will have the last 2 inch layer of cake (call this layer 4),
and then the frosting on that top layer.
Would I put frosting on top of layer 2, then put the cake board on or just leave layer 2 unfrosted and then put the cake board on it.
So would it be:
layer 1
frosting
layer 2
cake board
layer 3
frosting
layer 4
frosting
or would it be
layer 1
frosting
layer 2
frosting
cake board
layer 3
frosting
layer 4
frosting
I hope I just didn't make this more confusing.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 1:09pm
post #4 of 11

sorry didn't help. Is this all stacked into 1 tier, or is it 2 tiers? <- critical question.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 2:43pm
post #5 of 11

I think she's asking if she should frost the top of bottom tier when it will have a cake board on it anyway? I dunno...

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 2:49pm
post #6 of 11

Either way, and regardless how tall the tier is, I'd put icing on top of all layers. Nobody wants to eat a bald cake with no icing on top.

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 3:04pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Either way, and regardless how tall the tier is, I'd put icing on top of all layers. Nobody wants to eat a bald cake with no icing on top.

I agree. Even if it is a 1-tier, 4 layer cake, I'd want icing on all layers.

Just make sure you put supports under the cake board of the third layer to support the top two layers/tiers whatever they may be icon_biggrin.gif

CAC74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAC74 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 3:17pm
post #8 of 11

From what I understand, you want to know if you should put frosting on the top of the cake, that will be right under the cake board? I'm guessing you're worried about the frosting pulling off when they remove that cake board to cut? I think I've heard somewhere that you can frost, and then sprinkle with powdered sugar where you are going to set the cake board, so that when you remove the board it will not pull the frosting off. Not sure if this is true, I've not tried it yet. Hope this helped.... icon_biggrin.gif

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 3:31pm
post #9 of 11

Let the icing crust on top of the 2nd layer before you put the cake board on top, that should help if you're concerned about the icing coming off onto the cake board.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 4:47am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkle

I have a layer of cake then on top of that is frosting, then I have another layer of cake, then I put a piece of a cake board in between the second and third layer.
My question is, on the second layer, do I leave it unfrosted on top and put the cake board on it or do I frost it and then put the cake board on it?

Frost it and put the cake board on top, and dowel each tier.

If you use a crusting American b/c, the frosting let it crust and it shouldn't stick to the cakeboard when it's removed for serving. Everything you need to know to make, assemble and decorate tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above super thread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations).

There's also a link to photos of cake support systems with complete and accurate instructions.

HTH

snarkle Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 11:49am
post #11 of 11

I would like to thank everybody for their help. I will frost the top of that one cake and put the board on it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%