Why Do We Stack The Cake Before Delivering?

Decorating By TryToTri Updated 11 Apr 2011 , 2:00am by leah_s

TryToTri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TryToTri Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 1:09am
post #1 of 10

So, I am doing my very first wedding cake in a month and I am worried about it making the trip without collapsing. We live down a dirt road that can, at times, have big ol' holes. I watch a lot of cake shows and see all the deliveries and I wonder, why do they not stack them at the venue? It will be a three tier cake, all the tiers are off-white, I can pre-make the decorations and place the pattern on when I get there. So, I guess my question is, "is this a bad idea?"

9 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 1:16am
post #2 of 10

A lot of people do stack (or will stack part of the cake) on-site.

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 1:22am
post #3 of 10

I hate the pressure of doing it on site. I prefer to stack at home with SPS and not have to worry about a thing -even the potholes.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 1:27am
post #4 of 10

I stacked my first wedding cake (4 tier) on site. Since then, I have gone to delivering most of my party cakes, so I am a little less nerve-wracked when driving with a stacked cake and I have faith in the support systen I use. I am doing my 4th wedding cake (3 tier) next weekend, and I will deliver it stacked. Do what feels comfortable for you.

CarolLee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolLee Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 1:34am
post #5 of 10

How does everyone get the sps system BACK after the wedding?? When you spend this kind of money on the thing - do you get a deposit????

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 1:40am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolLee

How does everyone get the sps system BACK after the wedding?? When you spend this kind of money on the thing - do you get a deposit????

I believe that LeahS, guru of all things SPS, considers it to be disposable & charges the clients a "materials fee" that covers the cost of the components.

So far, I've only used SPS for family events so I just gather up the pieces and bring them home to wash. I will be using it for a family wedding & I don't think I'll worry about getting the pieces back. They really aren't that expensive.

Kristy

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 1:41am
post #7 of 10

Some people ask for a deposit that is equivalent to the cost of the separators/SPS (whatever kind you're using) plus what it would cost to have a new set shipped. That way, if you get them back, you return the deposit, but if you don't don't, you haven't lost any money when you buy another set.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 1:43am
post #8 of 10

When you add up the needed parts, the SPS is not all that expensive in the overall. Many just include the expense in the price of the cake, like cardboards. I am a hobby baker, and usually am at the event where my cakes are, so I do collect the parts and reuse them.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 1:52am
post #9 of 10

Bakery Crafts considers it to be disposable:
http://bakerycrafts.com/Wedding/tabid/57/Default.aspx
"Delivery and assembly are worry-free with no equipment to be returned"

Not expensive.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 2:00am
post #10 of 10

You can buy SPS for a four tier cake for under $15. Hardly worth the headache of tracking it down if it doesn't get returned. And yes, I charge an "equipment fee." And yes, it's considered disposable. Even if you get a few uses out of the legs, they will crack at some point.

PS even cracked legs work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%