Help!! There's Something Wrong With My Royal Icing!!

Decorating By yummy_in_my_tummy Updated 11 Apr 2011 , 12:54am by ALVARGA

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 5

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! I made my first little lamb using the tutorial on YouTube, and I think it turned out pretty cute - except for the Royal Icing.

Here is the link: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2000365

I used the Wilton's Royal Icing mix, all I did was add the amount of water required per the recipe - 3 Tbsp and mixed for 6 minutes until stiff peaks formed.

The icing was so thick that my hand shook when I squeezed it from the piping bag. I could pick up a little dollop of it and roll it in between my fingers, almost like dough.

But then after it sat for a few seconds, it started to run, and sag. I dont know what I could have done wrong and why it's doing this. I mean, this stuff was really stiff!!

Any ideas??

4 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 5

If grease/oil got into it it might do that. When using royal icing you have to clean everything scrupulously otherwise just a little trace of grease in your bowl or piping bag might make it break down.

thallo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thallo Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 12:27am
post #3 of 5

Anything oily can break down royal icing. But it is also important to beat the icing long enough. I usually beat it longer than it says to beat it. If it is too thick, you can add a little water - only a little - but you have to remember to beat it again. And I beat mine on the lowest speed with my KitchenAid. You don't want too much air in it or it will not work up as well.

I have used the Wilton mix and it worked up well and I was able to use it and was quite satisfied with it. Just remember - no grease and lots of beating.

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 12:43am
post #4 of 5

Thanks guys! I'm going to try another batch - keep your fingers crossed for me! icon_smile.gif

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 12:54am
post #5 of 5

I always use disposable bags when I use royal. Like that I know that the bags are grease free. I use my reusable pastry bags for buttercream only. I also never use any kind of plastic container to store royal in because it is very hard to remove grease/oil from plastic, use only glass or stainless. Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%