Jagged Edges-Start Icing Tip

Decorating By Auntie Taytay Updated 11 Apr 2011 , 4:10am by BakingGirl

Auntie Taytay Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 5

Why is it that I get these jagged edges when I use the start tip? I follow the same buttercream recipe to the "T" each time and still get the same results. I would love to have the smooth flawless edges that you see from the bakery. Any suggestions?

4 replies
JanH Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 3:42am
post #2 of 5
Unlimited Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 3:59am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bake2frost

Why is it that I get these jagged edges when I use the start tip? I follow the same buttercream recipe to the "T" each time and still get the same results. I would love to have the smooth flawless edges that you see from the bakery. Any suggestions?

Do you mean star tip? If so, what number star tip? Some tips just need to be opened up a bit larger.

Smooth flawless edges on what from the bakery? Cakes, cupcakes? Again, if you're talking about the star tip, you won't get smooth results from itit's jagged and produces ribbed lines. If those ribbed lines appear rough or jagged, your icing is probably too stiffadd liquid.

JanH Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 4:05am
post #4 of 5

Where are my manners.... icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif

Hi and Welcome to CC, bake2frost. icon_smile.gif

Everything you need to know to make, assemble and decorate stacked/tiered/layer cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above super thread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more!

HTH

BakingGirl Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 4:10am
post #5 of 5

I would guess that your BC is too stiff. Add a little bit of liquid and keep trying until the stars come out right. You also have to apply enough pressure, if your pressure is not firm enough you might also get raggedy edges.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%