Underpricing Cakes

Decorating By Krista512 Updated 10 Apr 2011 , 5:00pm by CWR41

Krista512 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krista512 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 12

Moved to the Cake Decorating forum. (JanH)

Split from this thread in Business forum:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-714674.html

thanks. I have that problem i am just starting out and i have "underpriced my cakes so i can get more experience since im self taught and not a trained decorator with a degree. I know my ability and that I am so detail oriented and a perfectionist that I need to account for the work I will do. all my friends keep telling me to up my prices. even though i am not getting many orders for now cause the few bigger orders that do come in will bring references and eventually they will come. i need to stop trying to throw my self to every small birthday party. I just realized this yesterday when i had a lady want a fully fondant cake custom made with a hand molded monkey and atleast 50 tiny molded and painted bananas for less than $50 i just cant do it. thanks I will save this for inspiration

11 replies
mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 12

The people that want to value you will. I started off under charging by ALOT. People were tipping me telling me I charge too little. I uped my prices to what I was charging with what most people were tipping me and They are still giving me extra money. It might be because I'm in NYC and here we tip for everything and anything. But either way I learned my lesson and no longer pay myself minimum wage! All my cakes start at $60 no matter what now. And I even put a minimum on my cupcake orders of 2 dozen

Krista512 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 8:58pm
post #3 of 12

Great idea i never though of putting a Minimum on cupcakes. I was wondering how I was going to work that. Cupcakes are my main thing. well what i am known for as of now. and i didnt want to just sell a dozen since i dont have great recipes yet so i use boxes that i doctor up ( everyone swears they are scratch so im ok with it) but just doing a dozen wastes half the batter that i usually end up eating ( no good for the waist lol)

once i get my site all set up (i need to do some serious changes) could you take a look at it?

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 9:16pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by krista512

Great idea i never though of putting a Minimum on cupcakes. I was wondering how I was going to work that. Cupcakes are my main thing. well what i am known for as of now. and i didnt want to just sell a dozen since i dont have great recipes yet so i use boxes that i doctor up ( everyone swears they are scratch so im ok with it) but just doing a dozen wastes half the batter that i usually end up eating ( no good for the waist lol)

once i get my site all set up (i need to do some serious changes) could you take a look at it?

Every once in a while I will let people order less.. Thats only if I'm going somewhere where I can hand out the other half for advertising. I bake minis with the other 1/2 the batter and make sure I have lots of business cards.
Again I only make the exception every once in a while.

Krista512 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 12

I have just though of the mini thing a few days ago. I have friends that own daycares, apartment complexes and work in doctors offices. take a couple dozen minis to their work places and a business card holder with business cards. if you have any other great ideas to help i would greatly appreciate it. you can message me any time thanks.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 10:10pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:

Have you tried freezing the other half? We sometimes freeze cupcakes, and as long as they are used within a month or two they taste just as good as fresh when thay are thawed.

Krista512 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 10:54pm
post #7 of 12

no i never thought of freezing them. I was always told freezing cakes is what the grocery store bakeris do and is a no no for bakers??

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 12:08am
post #8 of 12

Krista512:

This is the business section. Not trying to pick on you, but you've already been told that you can't sell cakes from a home-based business in Texas.
Have you secured a commercial kitchen and gotten legal since last week?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 12:12am
post #9 of 12
Quote:

no i never thought of freezing them. I was always told freezing cakes is what the grocery store bakeris do and is a no no for bakers??

In the baking world, the freezer is your friend. I find it adds moisture to a cake. What we dont like about grocery store cakes is that they are made in a central location, then shipped in bulk to the grocery where they are stored in the freezer for sometimes a year (according to many posts by CCers who have worked in these grocery store bakeries). The key is freezing and thawing properly.

Cealy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cealy Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 12:33am
post #10 of 12

Excellent post!

I recently stood up for my creative talents as well.
I was sitting at a dear friends funeral at the reception afterwards when a woman I use to babysit said to her sister "Why am I looking at a rediculous priced bakery when I have an amazing cake decorator infront of me!?"
My first reaction was, "Oh $...!"
My real response was, oh when did you need the cake for?
After the discussion was over and she was on her way out she explained that the bakery wanted $60 for a sheet cake with a picture of the character on it!
I instantly thought to myself, "how am I going to tell her I don't bring out my mixer for anything under $60!
So I waited for her email and got the guts to reply.
"I don't know how to say this so Im just going to say it...I don't bake basic cakes, my cakes start at $60 but it will be the best money you ever spent on a cake and it will not be a basic sheet cake!"
I haven't heard back from her yet but left it in her hands to let me know if she still wants me to go ahead with it! My time is worth something, my creativity is worth something, and I still have to pay hydro, heat, water and taxes so...next customer!

Krista512 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 12:47am
post #11 of 12

CWR41:

No I do not have a comercial kitchen. but maybe you should do your research before attacking other people on here.

since you seam to not be knowledgeable about texas law other than going off of a list that says texas has it illiagal let me get you the information where you can then go attack others from different states.

In the state of texas there are 2 not just 1 but 2 different bills that are in play to be voted on April 13, 2011 yes in one week. if atleast one of those passes then it will be legal so there is NOTHING aginst the law about me getting all of my stuff in order for when the bill does pass.

It is called being prepared. Those who dont prepare in life tend to realize they should have. So to answer your question. Dont worry about what others are doing cause you may not have all your facts straight.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 5:00pm
post #12 of 12

Krista512: I havent received notification updates, but came across your comment to me, so Ill respond

Quote:

CWR41:

No I do not have a comercial kitchen. but maybe you should do your research before attacking other people on here.

No research required by me. Im not attacking. I simply stated that others have already told you that you arent allow to sell from home in Texas.

Quote:

since you seam to not be knowledgeable about texas law other than going off of a list that says texas has it illiagal let me get you the information where you can then go attack others from different states.

Im not going off any list, Im referring to two of the threads you started that Ive read:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-7090597-.html#7090597
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-713931-baby.html
No thanks, I dont need the information about Texas or any state, nor your suggestion to go attack others Im not attacking.

Quote:

In the state of texas there are 2 not just 1 but 2 different bills that are in play to be voted on April 13, 2011 yes in one week. if atleast one of those passes then it will be legal so there is NOTHING aginst the law about me getting all of my stuff in order for when the bill does pass.

Good luck to you. Getting your stuff in order before the bill passes isnt against the law selling is.

Quote:

It is called being prepared. Those who dont prepare in life tend to realize they should have.

I agree, its an inconvenience when those find out the hard way that they werent prepared for what they didnt know, or didnt prepare at all. You admitted in one of your threads that you didnt know what you were doing was illegal isnt it great now that you know, you realize you can prepare for doing whatever it takes to become legal? (No need to answer just food for thought. Im agreeing with you, and glad you found your ah ha moment to try to prepare first, rather than regretting it later.)

Quote:

So to answer your question. Dont worry about what others are doing cause you may not have all your facts straight.

Dont worry doesnt answer a question. Im not worried. I didnt state any facts--simply reminded you of the facts others had given you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%