Refrigerating Mmf Covered Cake

Baking By wyliecakes Updated 14 Apr 2011 , 6:54pm by jennifercullen

wyliecakes Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 7

I need to make a cake ahead of time and cover it with mmf. I want to keep it fresh and would like to refrigerate it. Will it ruin the mmf and make it not look nice?

6 replies
hollys_hobby Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 5:05am
post #2 of 7

I have NEVER had luck refrigerating my MMF cakes, they ALWAYS sweat, get sticky, and the fondant starts to sag. I have tried all suggestions to prevent sweating, still same problem. And I live in a VERY dry climate.
I avoid using perishable fillings for that reason.

Claire138 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 5:19am
post #3 of 7

I haven't had any luck with it either - I would avoid it at all costs.

dukeswalker Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 6:47am
post #4 of 7

Funny - I live in AZ - its hot & dry. Our summertime room temps hover around 80-82F. I HAVE to keep my cakes in the fridge otherwise they become a soft, sad, warm cake. I have never had a problem with MMF sweating, drooping, etc....

Kitty5Kat Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 8:08am
post #5 of 7

I live in a dry climate as well and I always refrigerate my MMF covered cakes and I have never had a problem with them sweating or drooping either. Any and all cake shows I have seen also refrigerate their fondant covered cakes so I don't see why it would be an issue. Maybe even raise the temp of your fridge a little so it isn't so cold but just cold enough.

AngelFood4 Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 3:17am
post #6 of 7

I refrigerate nearly all of my MMF covered cakes. They will sweat as they come back down to room temperature - just don't touch it - no issue with sagging or melting. I usually pull them out of the fridge giving them 3-4 hours to come down to room temperature and to dry and they have all been fine.

It may depend on the recipe: If your MMF is soft to begin with, the extra moisture from the condensation will basically melt it.

jennifercullen Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 6:54pm
post #7 of 7

I wrote this on someonesthread yesterday too I think, my first attempt at icing a cake went horribly because i refridgerated it and it all kind of melted in front of me. But since then I have heard loads of people talking about chilling their cakes so i decided to experiment with my own so I made a small cake only about the size of 2 cupcakes, i buttercreamed it and then put my mmf on it and put it in the fridge covered in cling film, i left it over night and in the morning took it out but left it covered until it had come to room temperature and it was absolutely fine. there may have been minimal sweating but nothing compared to the gooey mess that was on my first cake and it looked the same as it did when it went in. I think the key might be covering it properly, or maybe i was just lucky with it this time, I hope not as I iced a proper cake with it today and put it in the fridge so I might find myself having to redo tomorrow....

I did see someone say it depends on how greasy or wet your icing is to begin with

Quote by @%username% on %date%