Tinting Gumpaste Black

Decorating By Savybee Updated 16 Apr 2011 , 6:28pm by Savybee

Savybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Savybee Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 7

Im tinting gumpaste and black and its turning out gray!!! Any help? I have no clue why? icon_sad.gif

6 replies
wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 7

Its very difficult to get deep colours without the gumpaste going to soft and mushy . I just buy ready made black . It makes life easier !

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 7

What food colour type and brand are you using?

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 8:12pm
post #4 of 7

It takes A LOT of color to turn fondant and/or gumpaste black. I use a combination of powder food coloring and black gel color and it will turn out reasonably well. Otherwise, gel food color alone, changes the consistency of the gumpaste in the volume you would need to get a true black.

The brands I use are CK (Country Kitchen) for the powder colors and Americolor gel for the gel black color.

If you need a large quantity I would just buy it ready made, if you need gumpaste specifically you can buy ready made fondant and add some tylose to make it gumpaste.

ali06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ali06 Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 7

Start with turning it medium to dark purple then add lots of black. You will have to use a little crisco or powdered sugar to keep it from getting sticky. I make my own all the time.

Savybee Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 6:28pm
post #6 of 7

I used wilton white fondant and then wilton black coloring. I added a lot more and then my hands turned pink but i got it to be black.

Savybee Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 6:28pm
post #7 of 7

I used wilton white fondant and then wilton black coloring. I added a lot more and then my hands turned pink but i got it to be black.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%