Question To All The Buttercream Masters....

Decorating By mmmcake0072 Updated 14 Apr 2011 , 11:05pm by KarenOR

mmmcake0072 Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 1:00pm
post #1 of 8

I'm slightly new to buttercream, prefer the safety of fondant, but customers like the buttercream better. So in the past few weeks I have been making buttercream covered cakes. My question is.....My last buttercream cake had to be refridgerated due to the cream cheese filling, it looked great at first, then I put it in to fridge. When I took it out to decorate it noticed an air bubble start to form as it came to room temp. I popped it and vivaed it and continued to work on it. Put it in the fridge and later on took it out again to finish decorating and it formed more bubbles as coming to room temp. I fixed again, finished decorating and put it in the fridge till delivery. Took it out to deliver and it did it again.
Was startong to get the hang of the buttercream cake, but after that I'm feeling VERY dejected. The cake looked horrible after trying to fix the bubbles after the decorations were on. None of the other ones did that, none had to be refridgerated...so i'm thinking it had something to do whith that?? Help please!

7 replies
2txmedics Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 8

Try using Indys recipe for bc...its the best. I live in Texas and it gets real hot and humid here, her bc, can stand to stay outside for a wedding and not be affected! I love it, crust real firm but seals the cake mositness....

Mb20fan Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 8

Question about that recipe: Does the iced cake need to be refrigerated if it's decorated early? I mean, I usually use Sugarshack's BC recipe and when I finish my cake, I leave it out over night with no problems. Since Indy's has milk, I thought I'd ask. Thank you!!!

2txmedics Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 1:49pm
post #4 of 8

I started to make my cakes at the last minute before the event since switching to this recipe, and I keep my home very cold....so I keep it on the counter until its time for the event...

I havent had anyone get sick or complain, so good question for longer periods of time.

indydebi Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 8

I never refrigerate my bc icing that has milk in it.

here's a thread where JanH explains the scientific reasoning on why it works .... how the sugar and milk stablize each other:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-657206-.html

KarenOR Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 8

I was wondering this too. I'm assembling my Sesame cake on Friday and it will have to sit until Saturday morning. The party is at home ,for my son.
I made a Buttercream that I found on Martha Stewart. That has a few tablespoons of heavy cream per batch, so I think that's fine.
What about ganache? Can that stay out, if the house is cool? We're in Oregon, so if I turn down the heat, it will be 50s probably.

KarenOR Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 4:19pm
post #7 of 8

I'm bumping this up, because I really need to know about leaving my cake out overnight in my house.
Thanks!

KarenOR Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 11:05pm
post #8 of 8

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%