Which Petal Dust Does Ron Ben-Israel Use?

Decorating By BakedCT Updated 11 Apr 2011 , 7:30pm by sadsmile

BakedCT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedCT Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 10:17am
post #1 of 5

which brand does Ron Ben-Israel?

Is there a difference between petal and lustre dust?

I am in South Africa and I am not sure if the petal dust we get here is just powdered colouring.

4 replies
louanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louanne Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 5

I took a class with him and he uses different types of coloring, some are sugar flair and some art the sunflower art dusts, i would think whatever kind you get will be fine, i use all different types, i pick mine by color not brand, i always use one labeled petal dust ( which is matte) or luster or sparkle dust when i want sparkling or shimmery looks. HTH

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 5

Petal dust is just that..to color flower petals in a muted tone..Lustre dusts add shimmer and lustre...but need to be used with alcohol or everclear if you are using them to paint with..Petal dusts you can't liquify and paint with but I may be wrong...

BakedCT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedCT Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 7:22pm
post #4 of 5

thanks for the replies icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 7:30pm
post #5 of 5

Petal dust is primarily used dry with soft brushes to achieve a natural soft look of real flowers and then steamed to lock int he color.
But...
You can liquefy and paint with petal dusts, using Vodka or Everclear. It will be slightly grainy, but it works. I have used it very thinned out and in a thick paste like an acyclic to paint with. It just depends on the look you want.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%