Fake Cake Sealant?

Decorating By SaltCakeCity Updated 10 Apr 2011 , 8:34pm by dsilvest

SaltCakeCity Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 3:10am
post #1 of 8

Hey! I made quite a few fake cakes for a cake show this weekend and people kept touching the buttercream that I had stenciled onto the cake. Is there any type of sealant or sealer or schalack that I can spray onto the cake so that I can keep the dust off of it and to keep the color of the fondant so it doen't fade? Almost all of my cakes are covered in fondant so really, I just need a fondant sealer. Anyone find one that doesn't dissolve the fondant? Thank you!
Jennifer

7 replies
SaltCakeCity Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 8

Hey! Anyone?? Advice?? Help! icon_smile.gif

dsilvest Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 8

The fondant doesn't need to be sealed. It will dry rock hard. I just place a plastic bag loosely over it to keep the dust off.If you want to preserve the colour place an opaque dark bag over it an place in a dark room.

SaltCakeCity Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 8

Hey Diane,
Yes, they are definitely hard. I'm just trying to lock in the color because I display these all of the time so I can't put a bag over them. Also for the convention, people kept touching them even though I asked them not to. I figured a sealant will keep the buttercream from rubbing off.

Any other things work? Thank you!

CakeDiva101 Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 8:08pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltCakeCity

Hey Diane,
Yes, they are definitely hard. I'm just trying to lock in the color because I display these all of the time so I can't put a bag over them. Also for the convention, people kept touching them even though I asked them not to. I figured a sealant will keep the buttercream from rubbing off.

Any other things work? Thank you!

A BIG sign stating " FRAGILE! PLEASE, DON'T TOUCH"...if that doesn't work, I would use a electric fence icon_biggrin.gif Sorry,,,,I couldn't help myself icon_redface.gif I just can't stand rude people.

dsilvest Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 8:11pm
post #6 of 8

I only embelish my cakes with fondant or gumpaste. Royal may dry firmer for you. To help keep the colour add 1 tsp baking soda to 1 pound of fondant or gumpaste. I have some purple and pink flowers that I did this to over a year ago and they have only faded a bit. Other than that keep the cakes away from any windows and place in dull light. The light is what will strip the colour from the fondant/gumpaste.
For the dust get a soft duster and dust the cakes once a week just like furniture.

SaltCakeCity Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 8:26pm
post #7 of 8

Wow, awesome! I will do that.

Yeah, I couldn't believe how many people touched the cakes. Some of them didn't even care if their kids touched them. When I asked them not to, they just said "Oh, sorry, I thought it was fake." Well, the cake is fake but the work I put on it isn't!

I tried using signs last time but no one reads them. Ugh.

I guess I just have to let it go icon_smile.gif haha

dsilvest Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 8:34pm
post #8 of 8

I have had chunks pulled out and I fill them with thinned royal icing that I rub in with a finger or the palm of my hand. The spots are almost invisable.
For my black or chocolate brown cakes I will repair them and then cover with a bit of shoe polish to deepen the colour.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%