Cake Boards

Decorating By ktelitecakes Updated 11 Apr 2011 , 1:31am by VaBelle

ktelitecakes Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 12:45am
post #1 of 9

Could anyone tell me what kind and where to purchase thick cake boards? I am wanting to find boards wide enough to put a ribbon around the outer edge. I have seen many people use them but I can't seem to find anyone who sells them. Are they homemade?

8 replies
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 12:51am
post #2 of 9

I make my own using foamboard that is 3/16 or 1/2 inch thick. If you get a drywall circle cutter from a store such as Home Depot, it will help you make perfect circles that are easy to cut out!

crisseyann Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 12:54am
post #3 of 9

I'm not sure where you could order the proper size you need to do a ribbon border around, but I made my own base, using 4 or 5 regular cardboard rounds and hot-gluing them together, cover with fanci-foil, and glue the ribbon to the edge. Easy to get JUST the size you need and cheap! Here's a wedding cake I did using this method. Good luck!

leah_s Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 1:07am
post #4 of 9

Search for Cake Drums.

tokazodo Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 1:29am
post #5 of 9

If you want to save some money, you can use cardboard and cut into circles. If you want a thicker cake board, just double or triple up on it, until you have the thickness for the ribbon you wish to use. I live about 3 hours from the closest craft shop to purchase foam core so I have to use what I have on hand. After I cut my circles, I wrap the cake circles in white freezer paper, shiny side out.

I hope this helps!

P.S If I recycle a cardboard box, I try to make sure it had nothing nasty in it like bug spray, or anything that would have harmful bacteria in it like a box used for any kind meat.

tiggy2 Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 1:41am
post #6 of 9

If you're going to use cardboard boxes I would purchase new ones as you don't know where used ones have been. You can find them at office supply stores and U-haul

slsharratt Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 2:35am
post #7 of 9

i've been purchasing the shrink-wrapped packs of 3 or 4 corrogated plastic cake boards, and then, keeping them shrink-wrapped, cover with foil. This has worked out great and I make sure to get them back.

ktelitecakes Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 1:24am
post #8 of 9

Thanks!! I found a place that sells cake drums on line. Thanks for the other ideas as well, good alternative if there is no time to order.

VaBelle Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 1:31am
post #9 of 9

Michaels sells them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%