Cake Boards

Decorating By ktelitecakes Updated 11 Apr 2011 , 1:31am by VaBelle

ktelitecakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktelitecakes Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 12:45am
post #1 of 9

Could anyone tell me what kind and where to purchase thick cake boards? I am wanting to find boards wide enough to put a ribbon around the outer edge. I have seen many people use them but I can't seem to find anyone who sells them. Are they homemade?

8 replies
 Bubbl3h3ad  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 12:51am
post #2 of 9

I make my own using foamboard that is 3/16 or 1/2 inch thick. If you get a drywall circle cutter from a store such as Home Depot, it will help you make perfect circles that are easy to cut out!

crisseyann  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 12:54am
post #3 of 9

I'm not sure where you could order the proper size you need to do a ribbon border around, but I made my own base, using 4 or 5 regular cardboard rounds and hot-gluing them together, cover with fanci-foil, and glue the ribbon to the edge. Easy to get JUST the size you need and cheap! Here's a wedding cake I did using this method. Good luck!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1768673

leah_s  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 1:07am
post #4 of 9

Search for Cake Drums.

tokazodo  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 1:29am
post #5 of 9

If you want to save some money, you can use cardboard and cut into circles. If you want a thicker cake board, just double or triple up on it, until you have the thickness for the ribbon you wish to use. I live about 3 hours from the closest craft shop to purchase foam core so I have to use what I have on hand. After I cut my circles, I wrap the cake circles in white freezer paper, shiny side out.

I hope this helps!

P.S If I recycle a cardboard box, I try to make sure it had nothing nasty in it like bug spray, or anything that would have harmful bacteria in it like a box used for any kind meat.

tiggy2  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 1:41am
post #6 of 9

If you're going to use cardboard boxes I would purchase new ones as you don't know where used ones have been. You can find them at office supply stores and U-haul

slsharratt  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slsharratt Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 2:35am
post #7 of 9

i've been purchasing the shrink-wrapped packs of 3 or 4 corrogated plastic cake boards, and then, keeping them shrink-wrapped, cover with foil. This has worked out great and I make sure to get them back.

ktelitecakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktelitecakes Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 1:24am
post #8 of 9

Thanks!! I found a place that sells cake drums on line. Thanks for the other ideas as well, good alternative if there is no time to order.

VaBelle  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 1:31am
post #9 of 9

Michaels sells them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%