Finding Files To Work With Cricut Cake

Decorating By Staci71 Updated 10 Apr 2011 , 3:55pm by HobbyCaker

Staci71 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 3:39pm
post #1 of 10

I just recently got the cricut cake and have yet to use it. I would like to cut some zebra stripes with it for my daughters personal graduation cake.

I downloaded a trial version of scal to see if I liked it and you have to have pdf or svg files to use with it..

How do you go about finding those types of files online? Do I have to have another program to find them?

I would like to get the most out of my cricut cake and I think this is a great way to to do it with out having to but expensive cartridges..

thanks for your time

9 replies
paoli96 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 10

If I want something specific, I will google the shape+svg or sometimes the shape+ cricut.

Some sites I use:
If I want people or animals,

A GREAT forum to visit to find files is:
The participants there are wonderful and full of information. If they don't have the file, they know where to find it. (Be sure to visit the "forum" of this site.)

Just an FYI - - ProvoCraft has a lawsuit out against SCAL. They do not want SCAL users to be able to use that program with cricut products. As long as you do not update the firmware, you should be fine. Just wanted to make you aware of the situation.

Staci71 Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 12:20am
post #3 of 10

what do you mean the forum of this site? I didn't see anything for images for the cricut

Cenell Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 1:18am
post #4 of 10

How do you connect the cricut to the Sure Cuts A Lot (SCAL) program?

Ihave another question... I heard that I can use cartriges from other cricut machines, Is true? and Which one?

HobbyCaker Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 1:26am
post #5 of 10

I just bought the Design Studio, haven't opened it yet, I hope I can work it. I went to the lettering delights site, how does that work. Where do you download the files to, and how do you use them?

I am new to the "Cricut" world, have used my Cake Mini a couple times and have a 90% success rate so far. Sure hope I can figure out this Design Studio.

sweets4you Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 1:37am
post #6 of 10

Design Studio enables you to design your layout on your computer, but you would still need to have the cartridges to be able to cut those images. You won't be able to use just any file you get from the internet with it.

leafO Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 2:48am
post #7 of 10

You will need pdf or svg files to use in SCAL if you want to open the file directly. To use other image files such as jpeg click on the trace button at the top of the program, if I remember right I think the icon is a gear. Then the program will open a window for you to select an image file from your computer for the program to trace.

You can also convert jpeg image files to svg using an image editing program such as Inkscape. Inkscape is a free program you can download online.

Staci71 Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 12:27pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks for that information! It was just what i was looking for, as many files online are in jpeg format!

tiggy2 Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 2:51pm
post #9 of 10

Once the lawsuit goes through DON'T update your SCAL software or it wont work any more.

HobbyCaker Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 3:55pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks for the info on the Design Studio!

Quote by @%username% on %date%