How Do I Keep My Cakes From Falling In The Middle?

Baking By dawndtwinmom Updated 9 Apr 2011 , 6:24pm by sabre

dawndtwinmom Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 7

I am still trying to work out "bugs". I do know that my oven does not heat evenly but do not have a thermometer to measure the actual temp. I am doing better with my yellow cakes they don't fall as bad but my chocolate cakes fall in the middle EVERY time! Can someone please offer suggestions as to how to bake them better with no falling? icon_cry.gificon_redface.gificon_cry.gif

6 replies
SweetCakesbyAmy Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 7

What size pan are you using? The larger pans need more time to cook. I have this thing- not sure the technical name for it- but it's a metal core thing that I put in the middle of my pans and put a dab of cake in it. it pulls the heat to the middle and cooks my cake evenly. I also put a flower nail in my pan upside down to avoid the high bump in the middle. HTH!

sugardugar Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 7

I use flower nails.

Do a quick search here and you'll see a picture tutorial.

I use 1 for 6" and 8" cakes, 2 for 10", 3 for 12", and so on.

Works like a charm!

cakegirl1973 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugardugar

I use flower nails.

Do a quick search here and you'll see a picture tutorial.

I use 1 for 6" and 8" cakes, 2 for 10", 3 for 12", and so on.

Works like a charm!

Ditto!

sabre Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 5:37pm
post #5 of 7

At what altitude are you located? High altitude will definitely alter the outcome of your baking.

dawndtwinmom Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 5:47pm
post #6 of 7

I am at high altitude in Cheyenne, WY. I have used the heater core and the cake rose right around the edges and right around the heater core but fell in between.
I have used all different sizes of pans and with the same result.
I just dont know if its me or the recipes.
I will try the flower nails--can't hurt, right?
icon_razz.gif
Thanks for the feedback!

sabre Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 6:24pm
post #7 of 7

I had trouble similar to yours before reading "Pie in the Sky" by Susan Purdy. She also has a website, highaltitudebaking.com, which includes some recipes. She shows altitude adjustments to baking for various altitudes in her book. Also, I use Magic Line pans, bake even cake strips, heating cores and flower nail, all of which have improved my cakes. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%